Fan stalling why?

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
I have in my case a whooping great enermax 120mm fan, which is installed as a front intake. The problem is I has started stalling once you spin it carries on fine but until the it very rarely manages to start itself correctly why is this ?
To stop some simple points coming in:-
There are no obstructions
I have cut two blowholes for it so there is adequate air path
The speed controller used for it, is built into the fan

Thanks
:)

check the connector
for me, i think the fan is dying

it does not have a sensor and the fan is just over a month old, as i said once you start it is runns faultlessly

RMA it, it should be starting on it's own, the fact that it runs ok once you manually get it moving is a indication that there is a flaw in the fan somwhere

thats a no go i have drilled it and fitted leds.........

(though the are powered elsewhere) will check again when i have change the power connector (will connect it to my digi doc instead)

Is it plugged into motherboard or directly to a connector coming from the power supply. Sometimes the motherboard can not provide the current to get a fan started especially a 120. Physics says it takes more energy to put an object into motion than it does to keep it moving. Try the power supply connection and see if it helps, but it sounds to me like the fan is going bad.

damn it that really is not good :( its currently running of the power supply via a fan adapter (3->4 pin) loughtit is in a long line of such (2 other converts after a hdd, so its possible there is a bad connection somewhere....

do you have the LEDs hooked up to the same power leads as the fan? The LEDs may be pulling too much current, the current needed to start the fan moving. Try wiring the LEDs into a different power lead.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
do you have the LEDs hooked up to the same power leads as the fan? The LEDs may be pulling too much current, the current needed to start the fan moving. Try wiring the LEDs into a different power lead.
"(though they are powered elsewhere)"
:)

What does the controller for the fan look like? Is it a thermal device or an adjustable device? Is it mounted on the fan itself, or is it on an extra set of leads?

My YSTech came with an extra set of wires with a POT (potentiometer, kinda like a rheostat) at the end. Since its full speed was so low, I just cut the controller off and tied the two wires together so it's always at full speed now.

If the wires are accessible on your controlling device, you may be able to fool the fan by adding a resistor in series or parallel to the device so it reads a slightly higher/lower value depending on the device.

Bad fan, RMA it.

The bearings and windings are not aligned properly so the winding shorts out until you spin the fan. Then the centrifugal force centers the bearing and it runs fine.

As siad before i cant send it back as it is modded..... Nooo the company i got it from has stopped selling them too they only go upto 90 mm now :(

Just an idea m8, but looking at yer sig, you've got a lot of kit sapping juice from that 350W enermax PSU.
Might be an idea to try a larger PSU if you have access to one.
If that's the case it could be yer CPU fan dying next time.

Had similar problems myself on a Abit KG-7 board.
(Drives dropping off dev manager under heavy load, fan spin-up
problems etc) Soon remedied by an upgrade to an 480W True
Power PSU. Never had any problems since. :)

i would say it's power as well. once you get it going it can cope, but it needs a lot of power to get in in motion. you got a psu you can hook it up 2 outher than your main 1?

also does it humm before you give it a flick? if so that backs up the lack of power.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back