failed directx 9 installation

• Thread starter plasmicSoup
  • Start date
P

plasmicSoup

everytime i attempt to install directx 9, it goes through initialization, extracting, but then when it gets to copying files, it works until it gets to the file "d3dref.dll". then, it sits there for a while with the hard drive active and an error comes up "DirectX did not copy a required file."

there are a few very odd things to say as well. first of all, when i run the web set up, it works fine... but doesnt access the internet at all. could this be that it did the first time i ran it but since then its using the same file it downloaded somewhere admidst my temporary files? another odd thing is that i downloaded the SDK Runtimes and looked through the cab files, d3dref.dll was there. I ran it, and it DID extract it to its temporary folder, but still gave me that error.

My previous history of DirectX was I had directx8.1, but there were some older version files and then i had the directx8.1 sdk debug files (which included d3dref.dll). To fix this and other problems, I did a repair installation of Windows XP, ran the service pack and my Directx8.1 installation is with no older files, and no debug files.. and interestingly enough, d3dref.dll is no where to be found on my computer anymore. ** EDIT ** I ran a search with indexing turned off and d3dref.dll was found in some CAB files for the Directx7 and 8.1 SDK as well as the RETAIL and Debug runtimes for Directx9.

Did you download the 32MB download of Direct X 9 or did you download the runtime Direct X 9?

I tried the web setup, the SDK Runtimes, and the Directx9 redist (32 mb download).

keep the 32MB download somewhere where you can find it again and give this a try.. worth a shot i supose..... :

Re-install Direct X 8.1, possibly either get it off the internet or get it off a recent game you own.. Once that is done, try the 32 MB installation of Direct x 9.. and give that ago

Lemme know how you've got on

Sincerly Alex :cool:

Well, with XP you can't just reinstall DirectX 8.1, as the only way to install it is through SP1, and that wont reinstall 8.1 if you run it again. So I did a repair installation of Xp which I talked about, brought me back to 8, then i ran SP1 to get back to 8.1. Still have this problem.

I just ran scan-disk and fix some pretty horrible problems with my harddrive (cross-linked files... other crap) ... I think I'll give it another try... **EDIT** didnt work of course, it was worth a try though...

did that too. still fails. ill run it again though.

Do you have Direct x 7, Direct x 8 and Direct x 9 all installed onto your computer?

Try redownloading it. It might just be that the download was corrupt.

I already downloaded 4 different versions of it and ran the web setup multiple times (deleted its temporary folder so it downloaded everything again). And no, I said before that I have 8.1, after doing a repair installation and installing the service pack. I simply have the SDK files for 7 and 8. I'll try redownloading the redist. though.

Originally posted by plasmicSoup
I already downloaded 4 different versions of it and ran the web setup multiple times (deleted its temporary folder so it downloaded everything again). And no, I said before that I have 8.1, after doing a repair installation and installing the service pack. I simply have the SDK files for 7 and 8. I'll try redownloading the redist. though.

maybe SDK 7 conflicts with DX9!
uninstall SDK 7 I dont see a reason to keep it anymore!

Could be, but I don't have it installed. I just have the library files and junk in case I need them. The Directx8 sdk is installed, but I uninstalled the runtime files, plus that was before I did the repair installatino and everything anyway so the only thing I have on my comp. really is 8.1... I think... but either way....

Thanks for your help guys, but I think I'm just going to format and redo everything. Haven't done that in a while, I think I'm due heh :).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back