Extreme hardware survival...

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I just put my memory stick through the washing machine :rolleyes::dead::nervous:

But after 24 hours drying out - it seems to have survived :eek::laugh::lick:

Thought I would make a thread for anyone to post other "survival stories"

THe power supply in our server died. Its fan went out and it went kaput. I blew it out with compressed air unknowing, also causing a cooling of a few caps in the unit. I turned it back on. The lights in the office dimmed, the UPS started screaming and sparks and fire as the caps started exploding.

Everything survived. Minus the PSU of course. I almost cried.

My question to Mainframeguy, how the hell do you put your computer's memory stick in the wash?

@ Steevo, please say you're not the IT guy at your work. :p

I am.

I came in and the server was off, so I tried starting it, no dice. So I opened it up and the PSU was HOT!!! So I cleaned it out, and, well.........

After the aforementioned happened I opened it up and found the fan had died, causing caps to bulge from heat, and the combonation of bulging caps and cold well... **** happens.

I also got my X1800XT to a whopping 97C by forcing the fan speed to 800RPM, forgetting and playing a game for 15 minutes. It crashed and managed to record the overheat in the error report.

I also got my old Prescott to a unknown temp, but the copper HS I was using burnt me. I forgot to plug it in, turned on my system, and it ALMOST booted. Then the thermal protection kicked in.

heh beats me applying 240V to a psu switched to 120V mode :D that just flashed blue and died quietly :(

I was with one of my ex's, at the hot-tub.

Spur of a moment thing. Jumped in still wearing my bermuda's and I had my old Samsung cell-phone in it.

Was in there about a half hour before I realized, oops, phone in pants. Needless to say it was the last thing on my mind and I didn't even notice it till I chucked the bermuda's onto the side and heard that nasty "clunk" of an expensive phone crying for help.

So, fast forward to a few hours later, I have the whole phone pulled apart at my place, except the screen and keypad, sitting under a light, drying. Left it there for a good bit.

A day and a half later, I tried it out, no dice. No juice.

A day after that I figured, hey, I have a spare battery, let me try that. Popped it in and the bloody thing WORKED :D

So, battery == dead. Phone == WINNAR !!! And I used it for almost a year afterwards with no ill-effects. It even kept all the data I had stored safe ;)

:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back