Extreme Edition ... Worth the price?

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I keep telling myself I'm going all out on my next system. I'm convinced that I'm getting an 8800GTX, UNLESS Ati can top it in the next month or so (looking doubtful) and that doesn't bother me. Sure its expensive but its top of the line and will be good for at least a year to come.

The Core 2 Duo extreme on the other hand has me confused. Its twice the price but is it worth it? I see a regular C2D dominates a top of the line X2. Can an extreme dominate enough to justify the price? Thoughts?

Thanks

**EDIT**

Just looked at the CPU chart over at Tom's. The extreme C2D is the fastest all right. But IMHO it just isn't worth that price. Still would like opinions either way. Thanks

Simple answer from me:

No.. not worth the price premium.

I keep telling myself I'm going all out on my next system. I'm convinced that I'm getting an 8800GTX, UNLESS Ati can top it in the next month or so (looking doubtful) and that doesn't bother me. Sure its expensive but its top of the line and will be good for at least a year to come.

The Core 2 Duo extreme on the other hand has me confused. Its twice the price but is it worth it? I see a regular C2D dominates a top of the line X2. Can an extreme dominate enough to justify the price? Thoughts?

Thanks

**EDIT**

Just looked at the CPU chart over at Tom's. The extreme C2D is the fastest all right. But IMHO it just isn't worth that price. Still would like opinions either way. Thanks
what's the price differance in dollars between what you want and what you'll settle for?

Current prices at Newegg

C2E = ~ $959.00
C2D = ~ $509.00

ohfa...400 dollar differance...that's more then you need to spend for such a small gain in performance that's 4 sure

do you do any multi threading?...any programs that make use of it?

if it were 64 bit I would say go for it becuase it will pay dividends when you go to vista as your only os

do you fold or some other cooperative program?

if you are on the folding team or something similar you really need two cores

personnally probably going to buy their most expensive kentfield, which is like $1500, but for me its worth it, although i am also looking at a xeon as well.

Absolutely not, I was looking at the charts and its barely better.

The performance increase is there. But it really isn't a lot. I was already leaning towards the regular c2d before I saw the chart but I wanted some other opinions. I've never owned an extreme edition anything so I was curious. Thanks for the opinions.

That would be cool. I've heard the server chips aren't meant for any sort of gaming though. Is that true?

well if you think 700 for the 2 quad core xeons and 350-400 for the motherboard that fits two socket 771s you are still only 1100 dollars and will have a hard time using that much computing power, but about the same price or even less than a top of the line Core 2 quad and motherboard.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back