Extreme Edition ... Worth the price?

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political User
I keep telling myself I'm going all out on my next system. I'm convinced that I'm getting an 8800GTX, UNLESS Ati can top it in the next month or so (looking doubtful) and that doesn't bother me. Sure its expensive but its top of the line and will be good for at least a year to come.

The Core 2 Duo extreme on the other hand has me confused. Its twice the price but is it worth it? I see a regular C2D dominates a top of the line X2. Can an extreme dominate enough to justify the price? Thoughts?

Thanks

**EDIT**

Just looked at the CPU chart over at Tom's. The extreme C2D is the fastest all right. But IMHO it just isn't worth that price. Still would like opinions either way. Thanks

fitz

Woah.. I'm still here?
Staff member
Political User
Simple answer from me:

No.. not worth the price premium.

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
I keep telling myself I'm going all out on my next system. I'm convinced that I'm getting an 8800GTX, UNLESS Ati can top it in the next month or so (looking doubtful) and that doesn't bother me. Sure its expensive but its top of the line and will be good for at least a year to come.

The Core 2 Duo extreme on the other hand has me confused. Its twice the price but is it worth it? I see a regular C2D dominates a top of the line X2. Can an extreme dominate enough to justify the price? Thoughts?

Thanks

**EDIT**

Just looked at the CPU chart over at Tom's. The extreme C2D is the fastest all right. But IMHO it just isn't worth that price. Still would like opinions either way. Thanks
what's the price differance in dollars between what you want and what you'll settle for?

madmatt

Bow Down to the King
Political User
Current prices at Newegg

C2E = ~ $959.00
C2D = ~ $509.00

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
ohfa...400 dollar differance...that's more then you need to spend for such a small gain in performance that's 4 sure

do you do any multi threading?...any programs that make use of it?

if it were 64 bit I would say go for it becuase it will pay dividends when you go to vista as your only os

do you fold or some other cooperative program?

if you are on the folding team or something similar you really need two cores

lancer

There is no answer!
Political User
personnally probably going to buy their most expensive kentfield, which is like $1500, but for me its worth it, although i am also looking at a xeon as well.

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User
Absolutely not, I was looking at the charts and its barely better.

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political User
The performance increase is there. But it really isn't a lot. I was already leaning towards the regular c2d before I saw the chart but I wanted some other opinions. I've never owned an extreme edition anything so I was curious. Thanks for the opinions.

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political User

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political User
That would be cool. I've heard the server chips aren't meant for any sort of gaming though. Is that true?

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political User
well if you think 700 for the 2 quad core xeons and 350-400 for the motherboard that fits two socket 771s you are still only 1100 dollars and will have a hard time using that much computing power, but about the same price or even less than a top of the line Core 2 quad and motherboard.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GastonSing