extra fan!

forcer

OSNN Senior Addict
ive just bought a new fan to add to my computer to try n make it that little bit more cooler.

its a bigger fan than the one on my processor so i think it just screws onto the back. It has 2 think red n black wires coming from the fan going into a connector that looks like the 1 u plug into your hdd. with 4 thicker wires coming off that 2 black 1 red 1 yellow going into another connecter similar to a 1 u plug into your hdd then theres another red n black thin wires coming off that with a small connector at the end.

i dont have a clue how to hook it up, any1 no any sites that guide you through it or anything!

thanx

forcer

The info you supplied is a bit vague, but here goes... ;)
The connectors with the black/red only are fan only connectors. (It'll use the 12v red/black leads for power. The other 2 leads are +/gnd for the 5v output and are required by things like your hard drive etc.)
If your power supply has a similar male version of the "U plug" (molex?) use that to plug your fan in. The smaller connector will most likely be for a motherboard fan connector.
The plug with 4 leads indicates a pass-through connector or in line splitter. If you have spare connectors coming from the power supply unit (PSU) then don't worry about it. Just hook the fan up via any method you like. It'll still work.

(N.B. look at the arrows on the side of the fan housing before you mount it to ensure you have it blowing/sucking the way you want.)

Hope this helps ;)

yeah thanx i'll giv it a try later, although i dont see any arrows

they'll be either embossed or etched into the case of the fan (the bit that dont spin ;) :p)

Look here for an example

nah definetly no arrows. although i think i know anyway. where abouts am i connecting it to? the back of the case there is load of drilled holes?

Yeah, you should find mounting holes at the rear of the case to marry up with the mounting holes on the fan.
Ensure you have airflow through the centre. (i.e. don't mount it where it'll blow at the solid case wall, you should see perforations/holes/grills to facilitate air-flow)

You should try to mount it near the top of the case if it's the only fan you have on the rear (presuming tower) or near the CPU if there are no mounting holes there.

You could always make yer own ;)
Look
here
and
here

thanx for the links and info, gunna look into it more before i go ahead with it tho

i read those links, and i think i need to mount mine to the back.

i already have 1 fan from the top which is part of the power supply and 1 on my processor and theres a part on the back of my case with loads of holes which is where i think my other fan goes. but am i doing it to blow out hot air or suck in cold air. i think ive worked it out which way blows the air out and which way sucks it i think.

i added the fan to the back to blow the hot air out. i done a check in the bios and this is what i had...

CPU TEMP :: 46°C / 114°F

SYS TEMP :: 31°C / 87°F

CPU FAN SPEED :: 5192RPM

SYS FAN SPEED :: 0

are those temperatures suitable for PC?

why does it say sys fan speed 0, i now have 3 fans, 1 covering my processor, 1 in the power suply blowing air out the back and a lower 1 blowing air out the back all running shouldnt it have a speed?

forcer

only if the system fan was plugged into the motherboard so it could sense it's speed. if the fan is plugged into the power supply (which it sounds like yours is), then the motherboard has no way of knowing it's even there.

Originally posted by forcer
i read those links, and i think i need to mount mine to the back.

i already have 1 fan from the top which is part of the power supply and 1 on my processor and theres a part on the back of my case with loads of holes which is where i think my other fan goes. but am i doing it to blow out hot air or suck in cold air. i think ive worked it out which way blows the air out and which way sucks it i think.

Yeah, the preferred method employed by most people is to have the airflow from front to rear. That is sucking in cold air at the front and blowing hot air out at the back.

I see you've sussed that too. :)

If you have 1 fan on the PSU then that will only cool the PSU. 2 fanned PSU's work better to aid case cooling.

Taurus is right. If the fan's plugged into the motherboard, then the BIOS can monitor it...if not then 0 speed readings :)

Your temps look OK to me. Consider adding a bigger (more wattage) PSU and more cooling if you add more hardware to your case.

Good Luck :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back