External HDD

jcim05

OSNN Junior Addict
I just bought an external HDD from Phantom Drives. It is a Maxtor 279GB drive. XP recognizes the drive when I plug it directly into a USB port. However, when I plug the drive into the USB hub XP, won't read the device. The same situation occurs with my Sony DVD-RW drive. Is there anyway I can use these two drives through the USB hub?

sounds like the hub isnt powered. does it plug into a external power device? or just run off usb?

does the external plug in and work straight with the usb in the back of the comp?

id imagine that the hub just cant take it. Anyone else opinion? is it a cheap hub?

The drives have their own power sources and work fine when plugged directly into the laptop. The hub is also powered. When I plug the drives into it neither of them work. The hub is made by Belkin and cost somewhere around $30 USD.

thumb drive, mouse, keyboard, mp3, and digital camera all work.

It should work fine. None of the following suggestions should be necessary but try them anyway:

Try plugging the hub into the same usb port the HD worked in.
Try connecting the hub to the PC first then the drive to the Hub.
Try connecting the HD to the Hub first then the Hub to the PC.
Try power cycling the HD with everything connected.

I had some problems with some PC's not seeing my external drive every time I plugged it in even directly connected.

I would try using my external through my HUB but unfortunately I loaned the drive out. I don't think I ever tried to run the external drive through a HUB.

After trying that a popup window still comes up saying "USB Device not Recognized".

I even looked on the websit for drivers, but the only think there was usb drivers for windows 98. The drive should be plug and play. Do you think it might be the hub?

The HUB or an interaction between the hub and the enclosure.

The hub is not providing the hand shake between the PC and the HD Enclosure that passes the plug and play info. It is probably just saying "I'm a HUB".

Did the HUB come with any software. I think an old one I had did.

Also, is it a USB 2.0 Hub? I think I had a problem a while back with a USB 1 Hub not working with some device. Maybe iut was my camera.

I still can't figure out why the Hub works with everything else.

It's a USB 2.0 hub. I tried a different one and it worked fine. I think I must have just lost the software for the hub. I might as well just purchase a new one anyways, the one i have now is over 2 years old.

From reading over all the information, I think the hub is just somewhat defective. Software shouldn't be required to use it, and if it was, it wouldn't work with the mouse, keyboard, digital camera and everything else.

If the drives work fine plugged into the PC directly, and plugged into another hub, just replace the hub that seems to be defective.

Also, when deciding on a new hub, check to see what your laptop supports. If the laptop only has USB 1.x, a USB 2.0 hub will slow down to that speed.

kcnychief said:
From reading over all the information, I think the hub is just somewhat defective. Software shouldn't be required to use it, and if it was, it wouldn't work with the mouse, keyboard, digital camera and everything else.

If the drives work fine plugged into the PC directly, and plugged into another hub, just replace the hub that seems to be defective.

Also, when deciding on a new hub, check to see what your laptop supports. If the laptop only has USB 1.x, a USB 2.0 hub will slow down to that speed.

still sounds underpowered to me. but i agree that its defective. :)

VenomXt said:
still sounds underpowered to me. but i agree that its defective. :)
That may be the case, but the hub, and all other devices have their own power supplies, so I don't think that is the case. The optical drive and hard drive will pull power from their own power supplies primarily.

hehe then i restate that it hink its defective. Can you try it on another computer though?

I tried the usb hub on my sister's laptop. The same thing occured. Must be defective. Thanks fellas.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back