External HDD with DNLA

one.123

-0-;;
So I'm planning to sell my pc and get a laptop. Im also planning on using this laptop as a DNLA? server. But since its a laptop, im going to be getting an external hdd to store all of my media. does anyone know how bad or if it does at all, effect the streaming speeds from the hdd>laptop>media player? also a little side question, you don't need a wi-fi connection to setup dnla correct? thanks in advance

Ummm, Laptops are not meant to be servers. You can expect thermal problems so a docking station with a cooling solution is recommended.

WIFI is part of the DNLA standard so bandwidth is limited to 56mbps which means an external USB 2 drive should be ok. If you plan a wireled LAN setup then an external drives speed may be an issue.

WIFI is probably how most of the devices will expect to connect. You will need to check each media player you plan to attach to the network to see if it has a wired option if you want to avoid installing a wireless LAN.

Warnings:
Each device in the DLNA network must have a DLNA logo or it may not work.
Make sure the Windows OS and any server network have a DLNA logo.
Digital Rights Management protection applies. Your system may refuse to distribute certain media.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back