External HD problems

GunBlade008

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi all, I've recently bought 2 external HD's from factorydirect a few days ago. The first was a Fujiutsu, 40gb notebook HD, I also bought a 2.5" casing for it. The second is a generic 60gb and I bought a 3.5" casing for it. BOTH of the external HD's do not appear once they install. I installed the HD's properly, and plugged it into my laptop's USB drive. After awhile, it says that the Device is now installed and ready to use, but neither of them show in My Computer. When I go to device manager, it shows that the HD is there, but I can't transfer files. Can anyone help me with this? Is there anyway to format the HD without installing it on my home computer?

Do you have all drive letters available (active)? If you have disabled the ones you don't use in a tweak programs it won't show. If they are all disabled above say, drive E, you won't see it in the contorl panel. I did that on my USB thumb drive, it would install, but not show in my computer. I wen't in and set drive f,g, and so that won't happen again.

If the drives are new out of the box then they will not have been partitioned and formatted.

Right click on my computer and select manage.
Select Disk Management. You should see your drives.
Right click on the drive area and you will be able to partition it and format it.

Once thats done you should see them listed in my computer all ready to use.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back