External HD enclosure help?

X-Istence

Political Access
Hey guys,

I need an external HD enclosure for my 320 GB SATA drive I recently bought. It has to have an external interface of FireWire. I don't really care what it looks like, but something sleek would be nice.

So far I found one on NewEgg.com, however that supposedly does not support drives over 127 GB over FireWire?

Cheers!

Last edited:
They don't have a FireWire external interface. They are USB 2.0 external interfaces.

That is indeed one that would work. Bit on the pricey side :(. Will have to keep my eyes peeled.

X i think that is what you are looking for, i'm assuming as they are so hard to find that they are a rather new and so pricey product..... i'll also look some more.

EDIT, ok i've look everywhere, and that is the cheapest there is. they are usually about $100

You know usb 2.0 is about as fast as firewire you know, have you thought of that?

Last edited:
It seems that companies of external drive enclosures don't want to support FireWire anymore, while that is the only fast bus I have on my laptop, USB1 is too slow.

Maybe I have made a mistake by purchasing a SATA 320 GB disk ?

I have not bought from them, 'twas just the cheapest result I found on a quick Google search :p

that being said, back to the Coolmax - very high durability, I love the ability to swap between different interfaces - SATA/IDE/USB2.0 and Firewire.

You get what you pay for, and that enclosure is top notch :cool:

-edit-

I may also have a fetish for black hardware :eek:

EDIT, ok i've look everywhere, and that is the cheapest there is. they are usually about $100

You know usb 2.0 is about as fast as firewire you know, have you thought of that?

Yes, I have. My laptop, an iBook only supports USB1 (two ports) or FireWire (400, not 800). So I would like to go for the faster FireWire than the slow 12 Mb/s of USB1.

I have not bought from them, 'twas just the cheapest result I found on a quick Google search :p

that being said, back to the Coolmax - very high durability, I love the ability to swap between different interfaces - SATA/IDE/USB2.0 and Firewire.

You get what you pay for, and that enclosure is top notch :cool:

-edit-

I may also have a fetish for black hardware :eek:

Probably will go for the Coolmax anyways. Since it absolutely looks cool in Black.

Anyways, the link you gave me was not SATA so ewiz is gone :D.

yes it seems to be, good deal.

Looks the same to me, I can veryify when I get home, maybe

Seriously, I think you'll be happy. Definitely the best enclosure I have ever had for that price range. You'd have to go $100+ to get something with comparable features for the value of the case material IMO.

just as i said, i couldn't find anything else that supposes sata and firewire for less than $100

yeah, it is the same one, and at least it seems so looking at the specs. Bought it!

Just a quick update, got it all set up, plugged it into my Mac, formatted it and am now a happy camper with a 300 GB external HD, with the ability to upgrade at a later time.

Only thing I dislike, is the the front cover is not attached to the top metal, which leaves a gap. Going to change the front out with a wooden one when I get the chance.

Mine is all connected nicely, gimmie a picture of what you mean?

Here you go.

See the plastic is not neatly attached to the metal.

Attachments

• Photo-00611.jpg
    Photo-00611.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Photo-00621.jpg
    Photo-00621.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Photo-00631.jpg
    Photo-00631.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 85

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back