• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

External HD enclosure help?

X-Istence

Political User
Hey guys,

I need an external HD enclosure for my 320 GB SATA drive I recently bought. It has to have an external interface of FireWire. I don't really care what it looks like, but something sleek would be nice.

So far I found one on NewEgg.com, however that supposedly does not support drives over 127 GB over FireWire?

Cheers!

lancer

There is no answer!
Political User
Last edited:

lancer

There is no answer!
Political User
X i think that is what you are looking for, i'm assuming as they are so hard to find that they are a rather new and so pricey product..... i'll also look some more.

EDIT, ok i've look everywhere, and that is the cheapest there is. they are usually about $100

You know usb 2.0 is about as fast as firewire you know, have you thought of that?

Last edited:

X-Istence

Political User
It seems that companies of external drive enclosures don't want to support FireWire anymore, while that is the only fast bus I have on my laptop, USB1 is too slow.

Maybe I have made a mistake by purchasing a SATA 320 GB disk ?

X-Istence

Political User

kcnychief

█▄█ ▀█▄ █
Political User
I have not bought from them, 'twas just the cheapest result I found on a quick Google search :p

that being said, back to the Coolmax - very high durability, I love the ability to swap between different interfaces - SATA/IDE/USB2.0 and Firewire.

You get what you pay for, and that enclosure is top notch :cool:

-edit-

I may also have a fetish for black hardware :eek:

X-Istence

Political User
EDIT, ok i've look everywhere, and that is the cheapest there is. they are usually about $100

You know usb 2.0 is about as fast as firewire you know, have you thought of that?
Yes, I have. My laptop, an iBook only supports USB1 (two ports) or FireWire (400, not 800). So I would like to go for the faster FireWire than the slow 12 Mb/s of USB1.

X-Istence

Political User
I have not bought from them, 'twas just the cheapest result I found on a quick Google search :p

that being said, back to the Coolmax - very high durability, I love the ability to swap between different interfaces - SATA/IDE/USB2.0 and Firewire.

You get what you pay for, and that enclosure is top notch :cool:

-edit-

I may also have a fetish for black hardware :eek:
Probably will go for the Coolmax anyways. Since it absolutely looks cool in Black.

Anyways, the link you gave me was not SATA so ewiz is gone :D.

lancer

There is no answer!
Political User
Looks the same to me, I can veryify when I get home, maybe

Seriously, I think you'll be happy. Definitely the best enclosure I have ever had for that price range. You'd have to go $100+ to get something with comparable features for the value of the case material IMO.
just as i said, i couldn't find anything else that supposes sata and firewire for less than $100

X-Istence

Political User
Just a quick update, got it all set up, plugged it into my Mac, formatted it and am now a happy camper with a 300 GB external HD, with the ability to upgrade at a later time.

Only thing I dislike, is the the front cover is not attached to the top metal, which leaves a gap. Going to change the front out with a wooden one when I get the chance.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies