Explosion in U.S.A.

L

Lee

Explosion in San Francisco, is what I heard, please add so I can find out more.

Found more:

Explosion Injures Woman in San Francisco

Published August 19, 2005, 12:30 PM CDT

SAN FRANCISCO -- An explosion injured a woman and set a clothing store on fire Friday in the downtown shopping district.

Firefighters and police evacuated several blocks around the store in the Crocker Galleria area, said fire spokesman Peter Howes.

A witness told KCBS radio that a woman was engulfed in flames from the blast which shattered the Ralph Lauren store's windows just before 10 a.m. Another witness said the blast seemed to have originated under the sidewalk.

Source:

Edited thread title to say "Explosion" instead of "expolsing"

More:

A fiery explosion from an underground utility chamber in the downtown shopping district Friday burned a woman and shattered windows at a Ralph Lauren clothing store, authorities said.

Firefighters quickly doused a flaming awning and police evacuated several blocks around the store in the Crocker Galleria area, said fire spokesman Peter Howes.

A crew from Pacific Gas & Electric Co. was not immediately able to determine the cause of the blast in its vault, which contains transformers and other electrical equipment, because a bomb squad was investigating, said company spokesman Paul Moreno.

He said there was no indication of a gas leak and no utility workers were at the scene at the time of the explosion.

"The explosion did displace manhole covers — two round steel ones — and it also displaced a concrete cover as well," Moreno said.

Tom Demartini, a construction worker who was sitting in his truck outside the store in the heart of the city, said he heard the explosion and saw the sidewalk rise up six or seven inches.

"It sounded like a big poof, then there was a lot of smoke," Demartini said. "One woman looked like she was badly burned."

The unidentified woman was taken to the emergency room at St. Francis Hospital, where spokeswoman Linda Gillespie had no immediate comment on her condition.

Scores of police officers and firefighters closed off the area and shut down several blocks as hundreds of evacuated office workers milled about on the edge of the city's financial district.

Workers in nearby offices said the blast shook their buildings and they thought it was an earthquake. One woman said the elevator in her building stopped.

So that's what all them sirens were about? :eek:

Gonna have to inquire.

They believe it to have been caused by a faulty electrical transformer. It's still under investigation. It was at 9:50 a.m.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/08/19/BAsfexplosion19.DTL

mn_pgevaultillo.gif

Last edited:
Geffy said:
surely they should be using a longer ladder

Thats where spiderman comes in. Why do you think it takes so long for sequels? He's dangling from midget ladders in the US in underground transformer vaults.

That is why PG&E only hires gymnasts. (Pacific Gas & Electric)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back