Explorer is real slow to open drives

• Thread starter danothemano
  • Start date
D

danothemano

All was fine, now all of a sudden it takes 4-5 minutes to display drive(s) in Explorer, also when I select the address bar it's now really slow to open. Any ideas on what could cause this??

Thanks

Did you change any settings recently?

If not, see if a System Restore solves the problem.

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Dlt and see how much of you CPU is being used. If Explorer.exe is using it all, terminate it and then restart it by going to file, new task, and typing in explorer.exe

Thanks,

No changes, I just restored Norton Ghost Image of XP drive and it's still happening. I have a dual boot system (XP and Win 98se) 98se is working fine.

i had this problem when i first installed XP, the Task bar would take years to work, and any icons i had clicked on during the freeze time, would all of a sudden execute all at once..

i NEVER had this problem again!

NetRyder, I have System Restore turned off for all drives. Like I said have backup on Ghost Image. I do this frequently, no help this time :(

Try DEFRAGGING! It's amazing what a defrag can do for your system. I try to defrag at least once a week if not more. My drives have lasted well over 2 years and I expect them to last longer. I did wait about a month since the last time I defragged and my drives were opening slow. I defragged and BAM! Now they open up lightning quick again.

Maybe>

Correcting System Hang at Startup

If your system hangs about 2 or 3 minutes at startup, where you can't access the Start button or the Taskbar, it may be due to one specific service (Background Intelligent Transfer) running in the background. Microsoft put out a patch for this but
it didn't work for me. Here's what you do:

1. Click on Start/Run, type 'msconfig', then click 'OK'.
2. Go to the 'Services' tab, find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service, disable it, apply the changes & reboot.

Before you try that see if the 'workstation' is disabled. Normally you can get to it from the control panel but mine has disappeared so I used the start menu/administrative tools/computer management/sevices & applications/services. Scroll down to 'workstation' & see if it is disabled. (That's if you don't need it)

Thanks for all your help and ideas.

Well it's Okay now. just not sure what I did to fix. The last thing I tried was disconnecting and reconnecting my webcam and scanner.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back