explorer in XP PRO

I

Idle

for some reason when i try to delete an .avi my explorer hoses up my mahcine. the explorer reaches upto 90,000k and eventuallt locks up. any ideas???

Hello:

I have two ideas.

1)
If you have WinZip installed, I would recommend removing it from the context menu of "all files". By default, WinZip will scan the entire contents of the file (I am assuming it is a large AVI), which can cause long delays and perhaps crashes. It is simple to disable: First, open WinZip. Click Options, Configuration. Click the System tab. Under "Explorer Shell Extension", uncheck "Use shell extension". Click OK. Close WinZip and try to delete again. (To undo, follow steps and re-check the "Use shell extension")

2)
I've known this to sometimes occur when explorer tries to fetch a thumbnail image to preview the video. This generally displays along the left. To disable this preview window, go to the folder in which your .AVI file resides. Click "Tools", "Folder Options". Click "Use windows classic folders". Then click OK. Try to delete the file again. (To undo this change, follow the same steps and select "Show common tasks in folders" instead of "Use windows classic folders")

this seems to only happen in the My Documents folder then to My Music. I dont know how i got here because this drive is for the OS and i have back up drives here. the mdei player its recognizing is RealOne player. I am running Windows XP. meaning that wouldnt help about changing the thumnail view and also i dont have winzip. i have WinRAR. But i do aprreciate the help JOSH

it also says that the file is in use. but there is nothing running.

Try deleting it in safe mode. Press F8 RIGHT after the POST beep, select "Safe Mode" then "Windows XP Professional"

JJB

kul that worked. booting into safe mode and it did delete it. thank you

You may not find that particular string here is another proven workaround:

There is a problem that XP exhibits in deleting or moving broken AVI files...it won't let you!

The reason is when an AVI file is clicked on/highlighted, shmedia.dll by default reads the entire contents of the file before allowing any access to the file.

Basically what this means is: as soon as you right click a broken avi file, shmedia.dll hangs and won't allow further file access to delete the broken file. Pretty screwed up...but

THERE IS A FIX!!!

-Simply delete the following registry key to prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file queries on these files.

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32 "

It worked for me after not having the aforementioned value in my reg.

Good Luck :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back