explorer.exe wont load?

O

oO ShifterZ Oo

on my dads computer an emachine, when window starts the explorer wont work. im not talkin bout internet explorer im talkin bout windows explorer. once its loaded its only the background, no icons no startmenu no nothin, when clrl+alt+del i can end the process and start a new task by explorer.exe, any reason y this happen n how to make explorer work when windows starrts?

About the only thing you will be able to do is reformat it , something happen that it got screwed, Ie; Deleting things that should'nt have been, playing around wit things that you don't know what you are doing, testing your I know everything about pc's even though I don't even know how to start it up knowledge, ect, ect, ect ... Explorer.exe is a critical process app, so reformat is the only option you have - sorry .

yea i was thinking dat would be my last thing, building my own computer i use it eveyday, but its my dads n i dont know wat he may have done, so dats y i dont really wanna reformat, but iff ne one could give me an suggestion other then reformating, i would be glad. ty

When you manually restarted explorer did you say that it works? If it does work then what you could do is creat a startup event/bat job to load explorer on automatically.

If that seems to complex what you could also do is get a program called EzyWin and run that program. Using EzyWin changes your explorer name to Xplorer1.exe because it modifies it that way you can customize your Start menu like instead of it reading "Start" you can have it read "Go." Using this program also allows you to change the Windows login image. You'll know what I mean when you play with the program.

I think you should backup his information and reformat the computer. Or use System Restore which is located under Start-->Programs--->Accessories-->---->System Tools-->System Restore

G'Luck

lvlolvlo

In the registry at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

what is the value for shell, does it read Explorer.exe?

Originally posted by yoyo
In the registry at

I did'nt think of that - I had a prob simular to this when I tried to test out winstep - I had to go into dos mode/win.conf/and change the default start up back to explorer.exe ..

I dont' think that is the case with this though, More than likely he deleted something he should'nt have, or could have even moved it without realizing.

what I would do when I boot is do the cntrl/alt/delete and then do a search to see where explorer.exe is an dmake sure it's in the right folder, if it's not move it to that folder ..

Originally posted by lechtard
I did'nt think of that - I had a prob simular to this when I tried to test out winstep - I had to go into dos mode/win.conf/and change the default start up back to explorer.exe ..

I dont' think that is the case with this though, More than likely he deleted something he should'nt have, or could have even moved it without realizing.

what I would do when I boot is do the cntrl/alt/delete and then do a search to see where explorer.exe is an dmake sure it's in the right folder, if it's not move it to that folder ..

im sry but wat is a dmake?

my guess is that he/she prob meant to say "and make"

Originally posted by yoyo
In the registry at

sry for the late reponses but yes dats the shell

Originally posted by oO ShifterZ Oo
sry for the late reponses but yes dats the shell

did u try my method? im telling u it'll work.....if u dont wanna use my method(look above) then you can always use System Restore. Dont worry you wont loose any data

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back