Explorer.exe thrashing HD on logon

P

Phantom_24

Got a bit of a problem/concern with explorer.exe running the hard drive for a min or so after I log on, but I don't notice it when my son does. It consumes about 40-60% of the CPU under Taks Manager and that's the only app I see running for the most part. Converted the partitions to NTFS from Fat32 with Partition Magic 7, but everything was fine afterwards for quite a while. I noticed file indexing is marked ON under hard drive properties, and the ONLY other thing in sys tray upon boot is Norton AV 2002. Is there any services I should be checking or looking out for ??

Weekly Defrag...

Usually I try about once a week with the AUTHENTIC version of Diskeeper (7 that is)...not the junky repackaged Windows version.

Also rna other scan tests....

I've run Norton Anti-Virus (with latest updates), latest Ad-Aware....and even ran all system tests over at Catch-Up/Updates.com and everything looks in tip top shape.....I HAD the latest Morph running, even scanned for that re-direct .dll and came up clean. But since I'm on the subject, this all seemed to start about that time that Morpheus was claiming that someone hacked the software and changed peoples Registry. Now IF that were true in my case, wouldn't my other accounts see the explorer.exe running amok when their logged on ?

Does it improve after a defrag? If so, you might want to up the amount you do it to daily. I use diskeeper 7 also. I don't know if that will help you out, but it won't hurt either. ;)

Turn off File indexing...it is a waste unless you search your HD like every day using the windows search tool. that is probably part of the reason as to why it is thrashing as it indexes the files for changes.

Agreed ... file indexing is enough to give your hard drive a good thrashing in of itself.

Even if you DO perform frequent hard drive searches, I still don't feel it's worth the performance hit.

Indexing service......

Would that be the Indexing Service under services.msc or the indexing services check box under each individual partition ?!

And does one override the other ?? I have the one under services.msc OFF, but the check boxes on the individual partitions properties boxes checked.

Close...but no prize.....

OK...turned off bother indexing apps, and still get a thrashing just when I log onto XP from the explorer.exe.

Hmmmm......any ideas ?!?

Maybe this would work....

Is there a way to get explorer.exe to restore itself ?!

I know that there is system files that are saved so their not corrupted....perhaps I can get it to restore itself??

Well, explorer.exe is part of the protected system files anyway ... besides, if explorer was corrupted, you pretty much wouldn't have a GUI (and would have the same problem no matter who was logged in).

A problem like this is pretty darn hard to track, although if it only happens under a certain login (part of your post which I skipped over for some reason) you can be fairly sure it's not a service that's thrashing explorer, since they pretty much run universally through all profiles. The best I can suggest is to just zap that user and build a new one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back