Explorer.exe taking up obscene amount of memory

w00kiec00kie

OSNN Addict
This only happens if I leave the computer on for a while...
so Explorer.exe starts off using about 18Kbyte of memory (~15Kbyte of virtual memory) then it shoots all the way up to about 55Kbyte of memory, while using about 70-80Kbyte of virtual memory.

I've scanned the computer for virus (I'm running Symantec Antivirus Corporate), and have also scanned the computer for Adwares, without any result.
Does anyone know why Explorer.exe decided to become all bloated?

I currently cannot tell if there is anthing wrong with my computer (no random popups, no random access to the internet, at least according to the Symantec Firewall)

Thanks for any tips. :(

By Kbyte do you mean MB? With the way you have it stated now I don't see an issue at all. In fact your machine probably isn't even running with Explorer running that small amount of memory use.

've scanned the computer for virus (I'm running Symantec Antivirus Corporate),

you did update it right?

Try the new micosoft antispyware beta. (seems to work best for me so far)

Any other fishy acctivity?

ussualy takes the most part of v.m .. but .. who knows ..
are u a windows server 2003 user ?

oh sorry, I meant like 18k Kbyte, lol... yeah that would be like 18Mbyte, huh. Lol..

Im using windows xp pro right now... and the virus def. are updated at least twice a week, and same goes for the adware scans...

what's a VM? virtual machine?

Oh yeah, and Im also using the microsoft antispyware too.. (in addition to Ad-Aware)

You could try running "sfc /scannow" from the command line. It scans your system files and replaces ones that are wack, perhaps Explorer is borked.

hey, when I used the sfc /scannow command, I was prompted for the windows xp cd. so I put in my xp pro sp2 slipstreamed cd, but it says that I put in an incorrect version of the cd?
do I have to put in all the hotfixes too? :(

That memory usage is completely normal. explorer.exe is the windows shell, it does use alot of memory.

j79zlr said:
That memory usage is completely normal. explorer.exe is the windows shell, it does use alot of memory.
and it will have wild swings in memory useage

That's kind of weird.. because on my laptop, it only uses about 18Mbyte -> 20Mbyte... :( I guess I have to live with it?

Does anyone know how to use the sfc command??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back