Explorer.exe slow to open after IE8 Update?

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Anyone else getting this? Normally if i click on my computer from the desktop, or if i select my computer from the start menu it opens up quickly, since the IE8 update it seems to take 5 seconds to do so, the little busy circle comes up then few seconds later so does the list of drives.

I have checked for nasties and such all clean there

Vista X64 ultimate fully patched, seems it does it if explorer.exe hasnt been opened for a while if you open it then close it and open it right away it ups up as normal

I'll have to pay attention for the next few days. Honestly, it feels and looks to me that there is no slowdown on my system in regard to Explorer.exe since I updated to IE8. I'm running Vista Ultimate SP1 x64 fully updated.

it was extremely noticeable for me, different pcs are set up different ways with different things, maybe im just lucky :p

Just updated to IE8 myself, and I'm not having that problem either.

as i say different set-ups different issues ;) - might dual boot this pc with gentoo to use for day to day things and vista when i want to do art stuff, so i have no need for ie8 :)

Having no problems, but I did give the system a good clean up before installing.
(not that it made any difference I am sure)

after googling it looks like its waiting for something, as i say un-installing it solved the problem so its something to do with ie and my system set-up, not that i am that bothered as i dont use ie anyway :) might be an issue when they force they update on me though :(

I have a similar problem on three different machines running Win XP Pro and Home Edition and also IE8 installed:

Since I installed IE8 on those machines, Windows Explorer occasionally freezes completely after right-clicking a file or hitting Shift+Del on a file. Only Ctrl+Alt+Del and Logoff resolves this (I waited for over 3 Minutes, but nothing happened).

I mean, on slower PCs it's normal that the context menu shows up after a short pause of maybe 2 seconds (especially on media files, for which metadata like ID3 tags etc. could be read in the background) - but after 3 Minutes of the context menu not showing and the whole explorer window no longer responding I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and log off.

After logging in again, all is fine.

Anyone else this issue?

Anyway, I will try uninstalling IE8 now...

OK, tried to uninstall IE8 on one machine.

It didn't help. Just selected 5 .jpg images to delete them at once, but when hitting "Shift+Del", all froze up.

Ctrl+Alt+Del -> Task Manager -> quit explorer.exe -> New Task -> explorer.exe also helps, then.

But I'm somewhat angry. Now it means I have to restore backup images to all these machines. Thank you MS...

Anyway, has nobody else encountered this problem?

Anyone else getting this? Normally if i click on my computer from the desktop, or if i select my computer from the start menu it opens up quickly, since the IE8 update it seems to take 5 seconds to do so, the little busy circle comes up then few seconds later so does the list of drives.

I have checked for nasties and such all clean there
yes, i had same issue w/ my system. we have the same setup..vista x64 and i have quad core processor. i uninstalled it and went back to ie7!!

I've had a performance issue with IE8 opening new tabs. It takes about half a minute or more to load on my Atom PC whereas IE7 takes seconds for the new tab/page to load.

I've had a performance issue with IE8 opening new tabs. It takes about half a minute or more to load on my Atom PC whereas IE7 takes seconds for the new tab/page to load.
lol, i had that issue also...it took like 15 seconds to open a new tab. ridicoulous. im waiting for IE9 to update my browser. i have a quad core processor and 8gb ram. i expect things to be fast.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back