Explorer.exe resource hog??

D

dcdlking

Every now & then my computer will become real slow, I check sys resources and find the explorer.exe is using 99% CPU!!! I may be running like 3 or 4 programs, not enough to cause any slowdown at all. There is a way to get around this, END explorer and then restart it, but when it does that, certain programs that were minimized to the sys tray become invisible and cannot be access even though they're still running. <<any ideas>> help would be awesome, thanks for any input ;-)

Thanks for the info bud.
I have norton but not installed... i'll install it later after i defrag my drive. It probably is a spyware virus cuz i have lots of progs running that i bet use spyware , aka AudioGalaxy :mad:

let ya know what goes on~

nah, this isn't a virus...explorer did this to me before...it will randomly hog all the resources...and you have to close it and re-open it and sometimes it still does it...not sure why, still searching for an explanation

An Idea

If there is something wrong with your explorer.exe file, u could get windows to replace it from the cd, now i expect there is a shorter way around what i am about to say but here goes

Click Start
Run then type %systemroot%\system32\Restore
(u need to have system and folder options enable to see the next file if u don't know how to do this post and i will explain)
Open Filelist.xml in notpad and add this line above
<REC>%sytemroot%\explorer.exe</REC>
<REC>%windir%\system.ini</REC>

Click Start
Run then type %systemroot%\system32\dllcache
Find explorer.exe in that folder and u should now be able to delete it.
Copy that file first incase it all goes horrbile wrong

Download resource hacker from

http://www.rpi.net.au/~ajohnson/resourcehacker/index.html
(does html work on this forum?)

Open resource hacker and open explorer.exe by browsing to the windows folder. Now change a string value say change where start is written on string 37 and 38 to Finish.

Now go control alt delete to bring task manger up go into the processes part displable explorer.exe.
Now open resource hacker by clicking
in the task manger on applications and click save when windows askes if u want to replace the dody copy click yes.

Well thats my long way of doing it i expect that someone will post a way of doing that in a couple of lines

Get Ad-ware with the new file signatures and do a complete scan to find all the spyware hogging your resources!
Link to Ad-ware: www.lavasoftusa.com

i got that ad-ware shit, it didn't find anything, i'll try the above mentioned method, i haven't looked into it yet, cuz i'm too tired, will do a test tomorrow, thanx for input ! ;-)

hyperlink1uk

you can just goto a cmd prompt and type sfc /scannow :p

thanks

Thanks have not tryed it i new there was a quiker way but didn't know how so i throught i would post the long way of doing.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back