Explorer.exe keeps on restarting

TheBlueRaja

BR to Some
I have a problem with my XP install - my explorer.exe keeps on restarting - everything else is Ok and it has no ill effects other than a couple of seconds wait whilst it restarts - but i want to get to the cause of the problem.

Trouble is - i can't find any error messages, i once had a window coming up saying :-

Microsoft Visuall C++ Runtime error.

C:\Windows\explorer.exe

The application needs to be restarted.

I have checked Event Viewer and it shows:-

The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

There are no bytes or other information that might be of use.

Any idea how i can track down this error - happens about once an hour.

:(

When i click on the link in Event Viewer i get...

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1002
Source: Winlogon
Version: 5.0
Component: Application Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_MANDATORY_PROFILE

Explanation
This event record indicates that the user has been assigned a mandatory profile. The user can change environment settings during a logon session; however, these changes are not saved in the profile at the end of the session.

But what he hell does that mean?

No idea what second post means but the errors you're getting are very very likely to be caused by overclocking. Hope I'm correct :)

I doubt that to be honest - i can run games till im blue in the face - burn CD's, run SETI, 3DMark and pretty much anything i can throw at it - plus my temp is only 47 Degrees.

Its ONLY exlporer.exe that has problems.

Besides, i *think* this may have something to do with a corrupted profile (my one) which could be the case as i have been pushing the system to its limits and beyond when testing for a stable clock, so i might have screwed it then. Im going to delete my profile and create a new one to see what happens.

You don't need to do all that to be affected. Explorer is one of the first things that's affected by excessive overclocking. Hope your profile was really the problem - then you'd have solved the problem on your own two feet.:)

Prepares to admit he was wrong....

Ok, Ok... (Deep Breath)

Well, looks like you could be right - i have reduced the overclock by a few Mhz and it does seem to be a little more stable (read: explorer.exe hasnt crashed yet).

I've never had it before where 3DMark 01 would run throgh but the OS would be unstable.

Lesson learned - never trust XP.

never...

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back