explorer.exe crashes

N

NLM

My explorer.exe keeps on crashing. Then my active desktop disappears. Next have to click a button to restore it. It does not matter if I have active desktop items on the desktop. It still crashes. Any suggestions?

umm could be a number of things, have you got service pack 1 installed ?

ok, could it be anything running in the background causing a problem, run msconfig from start/run, and disable your startup folder, reboot and see if it happens then, if not, add items back on the msconfig/startup until it crash's, then you should find whats causing the problem.

also run windows update incase that has anything.

hmm that did not work I guess I will have to use system restore if I cant figure it out soon.

I have always had that problem though it has subsided somewhat since I removed Apache webserver from my PC

happens mainly when browsing folders sometimes it will happen randomly no matter what is going on. the taskbar will die along with icons and stuff and pop back up, but half the system tray icons are gone.

just going to list a few apps that I am running as well.

CoolMon, NotMgr, WinCinema Manager, iTouch, the Logitech Mouseware thinger.

are you running any of those?

I also have SP1

I have coolmon. I have an Itouch mouse and keyboard, but I did not instal their software.

I check the box in folder options for run folders in a sperate process. I will let you know if that works

I havent had any problems so far, so i assume it did the trick

I too have had this problem for a while now....I don't have any of the above programs installed though?????

Will be watching this post closely as this problem is really annoying when you are doing stuff and then it all goes away for a while.......

Sometimes I have to goto task manager and end task the window it happens in as it will lock up my comp......

Alloy25

Windows XP SP1a installed..

This happens to me sometimes as well. The most annoying part is the misssing tray icons when explorer.exe restarts. Oh, I'm running SP1 too.

Same here (sp1 and mentioned programs not installed).

I did read in an errorlog made after an explorer crash that it could have something to do with the uxtheme.dll. I have it patched to be able to change visual styles.
Is that what we all have in common ?

Greetz,
René

yeah I have got a patched uxtheme.dll as well. The same thing happened with StyleXP, it would die as well and revert to the Pre XP windows style

I got style Xp, BootXp, Curser XP and Icon Packager....but my problem started way b4 I installed any of them to customize my desktop and win XP....

Maybe it's SP1 or SP1a??????

Alloy25:eek: :confused: :huh:

I've never had explorer crash because of the uxtheme.dll. In fact, I don't ever recall explorer.exe crashing, unless I did it purposely. If you're sick of losing icons from the systray check out some programs:

SysTrayX

PS Tray

TraySaver

12Ghost Tray

if you have any symantec products installed (please say) i know for certain explorer used to crash cuz of their products (it was caused by liveupdate):)

if you look in event log it says something like

"ntdll.dll has caused an unexpected error in explorer. explorer restarted"

thats Norton products

Originally posted by XP Abuser
if you have any symantec products installed (please say) i know for certain explorer used to crash cuz of their products (it was caused by liveupdate):)

I too have NIS and NAV Pro..........

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back