Explorer display zip folders

C

cheesewhiz

Is there a way to change the way XP explorer displays the zipped files as folders (sub-directories), i don't like the way my zip files are displayed on the directory tree as folders is there a way to get them to show up only as files (in the right hand side of screen) ... like win98 explorer

if you install somthing like winzip, power archiver etc it should accociate itself with zips files whihc are then displayed as files

that does not do the trick..
if i remember correctly there was something relating to it in the registry.
Its never bugged me before but recently its starting to piss me off too.

If i find it, i'll post back on here

works for me.

might also try this

1. Start > Run > "regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll" (without quotes, duh)
2. Now that the default is restored, we need to find a zip file.
3. Once you've found it, go in its properties, and use the CHANGE button to change the program you want to associate with ZIP extentions

I Tried running that program in the last post, it disassociated the zip files, but when i associated with the zip program it still puts the folders as subdirectories (left hand side of explorer), cuz XP thinks they are compressed folders. I want them to be displayed as files like win98 (the right hand side of explorer) Is it possible, no matter what i did they would always show up as subdirectories (folders). I have lots of zip files in directories and it just cluters everything up being displayed as folders. i just can't believe that they thought explorer looke better this way. I need help

i know exactly what you are talking about, but i forgot how to fix it. if anyone knows the answer, i'd like to know it also.

So i take it there is no way to do this ... i guess i will have to live with it .... arrrghhhh .... It just seems like it should be an easy fix

I just want to give you hope cause i got rid of this a long time ago and i'm trying to find how i did this!

i'll keep you inform of my researches

last hope (maybe)

You can unitsall it from the Control-Panel in the applet: "Add/Remove Programs", tab: "Windows Setup", under "System Tools" as "Compressed Folders"

also go to folder options, file types tab. Select ZIP type and click change. it should say at the top recommended programs, select something other than Compressed Folders (recommend winzip)

I double checked my fuzzy brain and as i can remember, i've done the Start > Run > "regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll" command and than associate zip files with winrar (which i recommend more than winzip, but that's another story)

If that doesn't work, try searching the web

You can unitsall it from the Control-Panel in the applet: "Add/Remove Programs", tab: "Windows Setup", under "System Tools" as "Compressed Folders"

I don't have System tools in my Add/Remove Programs panel...... :confused:

OK now call me crazy ... but i just reset the zip using Start > Run > "regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll" and it worked, reassocciated and viola no more compressed folders ... but i swear the first time i did it i had explorer opened and when i reset i could see explorer update and the files changed from zip icon to compressed folder icon and when i reassocciated it the icon changed to zip icon but still stayed on the left side as compressed folder ... now i don't know if it was b/c i had explorer opened it didn't work or i had too many beers opened, ha ha, but i swear it didn't work the first time .... but thanks guys it worked now

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back