explorer crashes?

C

Caligo

Why is it that when I try to browse my temporary internet files explorer always crashes? Is that normal?

~GC

This is a guess - but it might be a corrupted file in the directory or the directory itself might have a problem. Here's what I'd try (no guaranty, but there's no harm in trying other than wasting a few minutes):

1) Empty the folder
2) Move it to another partition
3) Defrag
4) Go ahead and move it back if you like

Hope this helps.

If you have tons and tons of temp internet files it can take a loooooooooong time to load, this happend to me in windows me, not sure about xp, whats ur processor speed etc?

Well, it happens when I start scrolling through it not by just opening it. Could it be that there are too many files for XP to deal with in one folder? I have a P4 2.26, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD. I'll try your these suggestions. Thanks.

I read somewhere that Temporary Internet Files should be deleted every now & then because when it gets to large performance is affected.

Well that comp should be able to handle that...

Try deleting them through internet explorer.....then try going into the temp internet folder :D

yeah that rig should easily be able to handle it... unless you have like GIGS of temp files... you should be able to set the size of temp files so it does not get ridiculously large..

I used to have similar issues whenever I tried to browse... the system would just hang for alittle while and then come back online... and I delete my temp files VERY regularly...

I did an XP repair and it seems to have fixed the probs... I dunno really what I had going on...

um... did you have the problem since day one or is it something that has just recently started up...

my solution for every problem that appears major yet not enough for you to want to reinstall... do repair OR system restore if you think it is corrupt files or conflicts due to something you installed recently :)

else gimme your rig and you can have pedestrian k6-2 450 :D at least explorer does not crash :D

I delete temporary internet files and cookie every day or so. The only reason I came across this problem was that I wanted to save a video file that I watched online, but I couldn't get to it because the site was done in flash so I couldn't do a "save target". I figured it had put it in temporary internet files so I went to find it. Sorted the files by size and started to scroll to the bottom. About halfway down the window closed and explorer crashed.

ah ok... now thats a different thing....

ok... if you have a lot of files... just start delelting some of them and THEN when you have a more manageable size go ahead and do a sort..

there should not be any issues for you concerning your rig really... its a decent system...

all I can think of is indexing problem or there is a corrupted file like somoene else said... but try delelting a few files and then doing the sort...

by the by... to find file go to SEARCH from taskbar/start and look for video files of the format you think it is (.asf perhaps?) in the folder of your choice :)

g.luck

You'd think that I would have thought of that, especially since I do know what the file type was. Yup. Thanks.:cool:

~GC

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back