Excel Question

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
So i have office 2003 which runs perfect except Excel. Certain things in excel take FOREVER to accomplish. Forinstance if i click on a cell and BOLD it, it takes about 2-3 seconds to apply. Adding color takes about the same time. This is very annoying, reinstalling it didnt help. Anyone have any ideas? It has been doing it for months. I just now decided to address it.

Edit/ Cut and paste takes forever, so does as well as adding italics and underlining.

Last edited:
It could be the processor is running to high .. With it running bring up task manager and see what is running and how much processor and memory it is using.

while this 3 second lag happens it uses like 3% of my processor (3.2ghz intel) and excel uses 10K ram i have 1 gig.. so that isnt it

it happened to me too im guessing that's how they want it to work maybe

I don't have any probs with mine .. It could also be if you are running an anitvirus. Certian ones will slow certian progams down more than others ...

Johnny said:
I don't have any probs with mine .. It could also be if you are running an anitvirus. Certian ones will slow certian progams down more than others ...

i dont have an antivirus program at the present time :)

I just checked Excel 2002 and 2003 neither shows any significant delay in coloring or bolding a cell. Even on my slow clunky RAM deficient P4 at work.

Try turning macro's off and check if the recursion is turned on and set to a high number.

celticfan11 said:
i dont have an antivirus program at the present time :)

PS Only an idiiot runs without antivirus these days. You could have a macro virus running and interfering with Excel.

have you applied all the office service packs and updates? that may help.
there have been some bugs that have been patched by M$.

updates page

try defraging your hard drive. it should increase your drive performance and may speed up office. also try adding more ram....from what i read. excel "office" uses alot of memory....

tdinc said:
have you applied all the office service packs and updates? that may help.
there have been some bugs that have been patched by M$.

updates page QUOTE]

i just updated ms office. Now only the FIRST time i try to bold/underline etc. do i get this lag. I suppose that is much better and acceptable now. thanks

installing windows shows that there was a incompatability somewhere ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back