Ever notice how the only time people help is ........

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
Is it just me or have you all noticed how the only time people help riase money and the government opens it's wallet is when there is a national disaster in some foreign country? Why is there no funds being raised to provide homes here in the U.S. for the homeless, or unemployment compensation for those out of work (they stoped that for most everyone that was on unemployment prior to the election so they could claim unemployment was on the decline, really they just stopped allowing people to file their claims).

It just amazes me that people, companies, celebs, the rich, and the government can suddenly at the drop of a hat pour out millions of dollars for a foreign country's plight (which is good, don't get me wrong) yet there is no money for schools, the homeless and hundreds of other programs right here at home.

You'd be surprised at how much money flows to help the people you've mentioned ... the homeless, the unemployed, etc. I live in northern Minnesota where iron ore mining is basically what people live off of. Some mines closed, now people have to be retrained. 6 out 10 people in my college are people who have been laid off from the mines, and all their education is being paid for by the government until they are retrained. Organizations that work in time of need also work when the need isn't as great. The Red Cross, Habitat For Humanity, Salvation Army, and many others work tirelessly every day. Just because there isn't a high profile disaster every day of the year doesn't mean there aren't good people helping out in every walk of life. If people wanted to help, the organizations are a phone call away.

If people wanted to help, the organizations are a phone call away.

It just always seems that the only time people want to help is when there is some high profile tragedy. But I do see your point. I just wish we would see the same type of response for every growing domestic problems as we do for foreign countries disasters.

By doing just a very quick tally, the tsunami has raised 6 times the amount of money than any domestic fund raiser and in 1/10th the amount of time. Now maybe that wouldn't be as dramatic with a more throughout search, but it does say something, saddly.

That's not what I heard on the news in these two days. They said the US charities see a flow of $212bn each year. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. But I'm pretty sure that there would be at least $100bn flowing into charities each year in the US alone.
Obviously, what they do with the money is different question. :p

Apparently Oxfam take £69 million a year but it costs them £49 million to keep the shops up and running :crosseyed:

Evil Marge said:
Apparently Oxfam take £69 million a year but it costs them £49 million to keep the shops up and running :crosseyed:

£49M per annum to keep their shops open :rolleyes: , but all there stock is freebie stuff that your grannies give them :eek:

Evil Marge said:

Not much of a donation then, is it? people might as well throw their unwanted goods in the bin or deliver them direct to those in need. Efficiency is the word. hehe.

Maveric169 said:
It just amazes me that people, companies, celebs, the rich, and the government can suddenly at the drop of a hat pour out millions of dollars for a foreign country's plight (which is good, don't get me wrong) yet there is no money for schools, the homeless and hundreds of other programs right here at home.

well said.....

tdinc said:
well said.....
What he said, you see all these famous people broadcasting how much they are giving to the fund eg Steven Speilberg,Angelica Jolie...Where were they before all this happened?

The important question really isn't "where were they?" but "where were we?". We cannot control when they decide to help, nor would it be beneficial to anyone to speculate on how they help, but we can sure dictate if WE are willing to help.

The media is not willing to pay attention to complex problems like poverty, where as a natural disaster is attention grabbing and likely to give ratings boosts.

Not that raising money for the tsunami and other disasters is a bad thing.

Throwing money at something doesnt necessarily fix it. Its more a matter of what you do with that money. What is really going to help these people in need? For the poor and needy in America, the elements to help them are already there and available, numerous programs to clothe, feed, shelter, get these people jobs and back on their feet. For the victims in asia our carrier and helicopter fleet is doing and will continue to do more good than most of the monetary contributions ever could at this point in time. Throwing money at a problem might sound like a good idea, but it doesnt actually do the life saving, transport food & water, or build the shelters. The equipment and resources America provided was crucial and invaluable, moreso than any monetary contribution, but thats all everybody focused on.

leedogg said:
Throwing money at something doesnt necessarily fix it. Its more a matter of what you do with that money. What is really going to help these people in need? For the poor and needy in America, the elements to help them are already there and available, numerous programs to clothe, feed, shelter, get these people jobs and back on their feet. For the victims in asia our carrier and helicopter fleet is doing and will continue to do more good than most of the monetary contributions ever could at this point in time. Throwing money at a problem might sound like a good idea, but it doesnt actually do the life saving, transport food & water, or build the shelters. The equipment and resources America provided was crucial and invaluable, moreso than any monetary contribution, but thats all everybody focused on.

I agree with most of what you said but as you stated the elements are there to help domestic needy, just nothing else. I really don't believe a handfull of homeless shelters and clothes that ppl toss to them are really all that productive. The system is very well balanced to simply keep these ppl right where they are, too needy to improve their situation and provided just enough to keep things from becoming a mortallity epedemic.

I think helping anyone in need is a good thing, don't get me wrong, just wish we would see the same attention paid to the problems here at home as well, instead of reading about how schools are cutting all music, sports, and dozens of other programs because "there is no money". In 72 hrs nearly 400 million dollars just appeared from a magical place where just arround the corner there was no money.

I guarentee you will never see Jay Leno auctioning off a dontated Harley to build homes for the homeless or better education for kids living in the getto's.

Maveric169 said:
I guarentee you will never see Jay Leno auctioning off a dontated Harley to build homes for the homeless or better education for kids living in the getto's.
Exactly,there are many people here at home that are in desperate need of help but have little chance of receiving any.
Over here if you live in a certain area you cannot even get medication for illness such as cancer as there is not enough funding to pay for it yet if you live on the otherside of the same street and have the same disease there is funding available as you are in a different area of Health Authority

Maveric169 said:
Is it just me or have you all noticed how the only time people help riase money and the government opens it's wallet is when there is a national disaster in some foreign country? Why is there no funds being raised to provide homes here in the U.S. for the homeless, or unemployment compensation for those out of work (they stoped that for most everyone that was on unemployment prior to the election so they could claim unemployment was on the decline, really they just stopped allowing people to file their claims).

Well if that's true, that could taint the validity of the unemployment statistics we've seen. Already, based on the distinction of "unemployeed" vs. "not in the labor market" a shadow of doubt could be caste on whether true unemployment might be higher (aka people who want jobs but gave up on looking as they feel it's too difficult at the present/are looking for an ecconomic pickup). Yes, when I was taking a class in macro-ecconomics last year and we were covering unemployment statistics and the like, a shadow of doubt lingered in my mind (a sharp rise in unemployment, then it drops, but employment doesn't go up...does it really mean recovery? Kind of doubt that must be the case, sorta thing).

Anyhow, as to donations I think two things could be going on here:

- "If it bleeds, it leads" Outside the time of disaster, "people give to charities" might not be considered a big enough story by the media to cover. Would it boost their ratings? The media might not be interested in the story.

- No doubt, when trajedy strikes however, people do give a bit more then otherwise. All this said, there are many people (myself included) that don't have a whole lot of extra cash to give.

When I was younger/had more money to dispose of/fewer financial responsibilities, I could be rather generious. Quite frankly, being in college and all, I don't have so much to give, and now I'm one of the people bearing financial aid loans (which I of course will have to pay back) and what not. I did give what little I could, being that I have college tuition, a new semester, and all, given the severity of this trajedy...

Maveric169 said:
I agree with most of what you said but as you stated the elements are there to help domestic needy, just nothing else. I really don't believe a handfull of homeless shelters and clothes that ppl toss to them are really all that productive. The system is very well balanced to simply keep these ppl right where they are, too needy to improve their situation and provided just enough to keep things from becoming a mortallity epedemic.

I think helping anyone in need is a good thing, don't get me wrong, just wish we would see the same attention paid to the problems here at home as well, instead of reading about how schools are cutting all music, sports, and dozens of other programs because "there is no money". In 72 hrs nearly 400 million dollars just appeared from a magical place where just arround the corner there was no money.

Dont get me wrong, our domestic programs need a lot of work and could definitely use the funding, but to be honest with you, some of these problems will always be around, whereas at this moment, those poor souls in asia are in a life and death situation.

How many people died in this disaster? Around 150,000-200,000? How many people are dying in the civil war in Sudan? Almost the same amount...

Like Grandmaster said, the media is not willing to pay attention to these complex problems.

Sorry - UK opinion here - heard BILLIONS was raised for Fla during this years hurricane season.... also heard the amount for the Tsunami - go figure, 'nuff said ;)

Mainframeguy said:
Sorry - UK opinion here - heard BILLIONS was raised for Fla during this years hurricane season.... also heard the amount for the Tsunami - go figure, 'nuff said ;)

LOL, all opinions are welcome! That is true, but how much of that came from any foreign country (a little off topic I know, just another little gripe that I have)?

hsn said:
How many people died in this disaster? Around 150,000-200,000? How many people are dying in the civil war in Sudan? Almost the same amount...

Like Grandmaster said, the media is not willing to pay attention to these complex problems.

Very true, and very sad. It is sad that the only thing that gets people to pay attention to problems is when the media chooses to give it the coverage it deserves.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back