Ever have trouble writing the last few pages of a paper?

I gotta add that to my "toolbox". :p

Here are a couple techniques I've used over the last couple years:

1) All papers that I hand in have to be double spaced. However, I set the line spacing to "2.2" - you really can't tell the difference ;)

2) Same thing with page margins. Instead of 1 inch margins, I make them 1.1 inch margins.

It doesn't seem like a lot, but it really does add up!

Basically all you have to do is take advantage of the fact that TAs have dozens of papers to grade, so they won't catch on the "little details" that you add ;)

It's very rare for papers to be accepted if they don't use a standard font...you could get away with that up to high school...not in college though. So when you're stuck with Times New Roman, you have to be a bit more sneaky ;p

I got through using Courier New and I was at a top 10 university ;)

Its awesome, take a paper in Arial or Times New Roman and change it to Courier New. Sit back and watch the page numbers grow!

Its awesome, take a paper in Arial or Times New Roman and change it to Courier New. Sit back and watch the page numbers grow!

Courier New is the only font I use :p

I'd use it, if it wasn't so fugly!
I prefer Consolas as a monospaced font myself.
It takes up a little less horizontal space compared to Courier New though, so if filling up space is your first priority, go with Courier New. :D

fontsza5.png

1: Times New Roman
2: Courier New
3: Consolas

I gotta add that to my "toolbox". :p

Here are a couple techniques I've used over the last couple years:

1) All papers that I hand in have to be double spaced. However, I set the line spacing to "2.2" - you really can't tell the difference ;)

2) Same thing with page margins. Instead of 1 inch margins, I make them 1.1 inch margins.

It doesn't seem like a lot, but it really does add up!

Basically all you have to do is take advantage of the fact that TAs have dozens of papers to grade, so they won't catch on the "little details" that you add ;)

1 and 2 would be caught by my English teacher, he would measure EVERY paper with a ruler. I once set it to 1.05 inch margins and I got marked down for it. 2.2 line spacing would have been caught as well.

The technique described in the video seems very usable though :D.

I loved writing. Unfortunately, I was typically limited to a certain word count or page count :(

Instead of wasting time getting around limits, use that time to fill the space with useful work :cool:

Short-cuts may cut short your life (ok, that works better as a driving reference but you know what I mean).

Yea, those margin and spacing tricks will get you caught, at least at my university.

Most professors require that you submit the digital copy and the paper copy. Some (especially in the CompSci department) use the digital copies in automated tests for spacing and margins. Some also use tools and websites like turnitin.com that test and score papers for Plagiarism.

You are better off using that time to add B.S. and restating facts to add more content.

Every single one of my papers I have ever submitted has been showing up on turnitin.com as plagiarism. I played the system though, I put the papers up on my website :p Every single last paper I have ever written is up on a website of mine that turnitin crawls, or sees, and thus each paper is an exact copy. Teachers have asked me not to do that, but they could not fail me since it was not plagiarism. I even had to get one teacher to admit I should get the A I deserved even-though they gave me an F. I went straight to my high schools principal, got the A i deserved.

I loved writing. Unfortunately, I was typically limited to a certain word count or page count :(

Instead of wasting time getting around limits, use that time to fill the space with useful work :cool:

Short-cuts may cut short your life (ok, that works better as a driving reference but you know what I mean).

I love writing too, but it's really hard to get excited writing about some topics, but sometimes **** gets in the way, even if you do try to be perfect in everything you do. And, why should you have to add useless fluff to a paper? I use to be very verbose, now I'm all for being concise.

But I understand what you mean, oh wise one :p

I only had to do this for the couple of gen-ed requirements I had to take. When it got into technical papers content mattered not length. My final thesis was 130 pages, single spaced with Times New Roman!

lol, there were a lot of graphs and equations which take up space though :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back