event viewer warning

scotty588

OSNN Addict
For a while now I have been getting random freezes on xp pro, I have reformated in the past because of this and it seems its starting to happen again. It usally happens when I open IE or just surfing the internet.
I remember in the past before I formated I would sometimes see this in the event viewer and now I see it again.

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

What does this mean? and could this be why I get random freeze ups. And when I say freeze ups I mean I cant type or move the mouse and have to restart I cant do ctrl alt delete. Sometimes the program wil just be unresponsive and wil go back in like 30 sec but sometimes it will lock up completly. Heres system specs.

Amd Athlon xp 2600+
Asus a7n8x deluxe bios 1007
768 mb ddr
20 gb 7200 rpm IBM
100 gb 7200 rpm western digital
gforce 4 ti4200
sony crx230e cd-rw
thermaltake v1000a 7 fans, plenty of cooling
temps are running around 45-52 C

ive scanned with norton on 1/29/04 and scaned with ad-aware week ago and i run pest patrol all the time.

Damn I'm getting this too occasionally and I have no clue why. I suspect it is related to Shareaza cause I notice it seems to crash when that page error occurs (or maybe it causes page error...)

Can you post the EventID please, is should be in the same box in Event Viewer.

Sounds like a problem with A) The Harddisk or B) The paging file on it.

Have you ran a chkdsk recently ?(XP Pro)

If not type chkdsk c: /F /X

Also does your pc seem to make a funny noise every so often? I get this wierd mechanical gear noise every so often which i'm beginning to worry is a hd...

Yeah if you hear a clicking noise coming from your hd its going bad and will fail at anytime I would recomend backing up any files now and get a new drive. Dont even waste time trying to fix it either you can't.

I'm not even sure where that noise is coming from. It kinda sounds like a smaller version of the noise trains make with their wheels on the tracks. The pc doesnt act any different when the noise happens...I have an ibm 60gb drive a WD 120gb and a Maxtor 160gb. I have 2 ibm 60's, I cloned my original and swapped it with the second, but the noise still happens...so if it is a hd then its my wd 120..the maxtor is brand new and the noise predated it...does anything else in the computer make such a noise periodically? How can I check if its the hard drive?

its event id 51, ill try the chkdsk. although i run diskeeper and i think it does that for me if needed for offline defrag.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back