Event ID 1008 dnsperf.dll Issues

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I got a call from a client, stating that they could not send e-mail or reach their own website, but could reach every other website needed. External people from their network could reach the site in question.

From those descriptions, figured it was a DNS issue right off the bat. So when I got there, I connected to my home machine, verified sites were still up, and got IP addresses for the two sites, main and the website, mail.domain.com

The IP for mail.domain.com worked, but the IP I would get from their main site wasn't working, a bit odd.

Anyways, after further investigation, the server had an error in the Event Viewer (love that utility) as follows:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Perflib
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1008
Date: 4/27/2001
Time: 8:06:55 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MYCOMPUTER
Description:
The Open Procedure for service "DNS" in DLL "C:\WINNT\system32\dnsperf.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. Status code returned is data DWORD 0.

The fix, found here, worked instantly. My question, since this server is 2000 with SP4, is how did it happen? I can't seem to find any root causes for it, haven't had this problem before as I have administered this server for the past year, and want to know if I can prevent it going forward. This client pays me hourly, and would like the same freedom :)

Anyone seen this before, or know what causes it? TIA :)

The performance counters were probably corrupt.

That is what I figured, but I thought it was VERY strange that the only sites that were unreachable were sites that are related to the company.

The sites are NOT hosted locally, and aren't even the same name as the domain. Kind of odd, I guess I'll just keep an eye on it going forward :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back