event: 4 source: serial unable to create the symbolic for \device\serial0

Aljeebo

OSNN One Post Wonder
Sorry, title should read: event: 4 source: serial - unable to create the symbolic link for \device\serial0.

Hi everyone, it's jubbly to be here. I hope you can help me!

I have upgraded a laptop from ME to XP Home. All devices are installed OK and no problems reported in Device Manager.

When I attempt to connect to the internet using a dial up connection XP reports that the modem is either currently in use or is not configured correctly. Also, when I try to query the modem I get a similar message.

I uninstalled the modem and reinstalled - no fix. Changed cable, wall-socket etc.

I have checked installed programs for Palm/synchronisation software. I have disabled IrDA in DM. I have reinstalled COM1, I've tried using COM3 - no good.

"unable to create the symbolic link for device\serial0." is the only warning event of any significance. Event:4 Source:serial

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Al :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back