EVE Online warning for XP users

Erbmaster

OSNN Veteran Addict
It seems the latest update of EVE Online is causing a lot of problems among it's 200,000 strong subscription base.
Advice is DO NOT DOWNLOAD THE TRINITY UPDATE

A statement on the EVE Online website says:
"An issue has been discovered whereby Windows XP and older Windows OS users who have upgraded their EVE clients from Classic Graphics Content to Premium Graphics Content have their boot.ini file deleted. For users facing this issue, we recommend users DO NOT reboot their computers until this issue has been resolved, otherwise a potential reinstall of the operating system may be needed."​
Full Story :- The Register

Uh, you do not have to reinstall the OS to restore the boot.ini file, or does this do something more malicious?

I guess they were considering the less tech-savvy members of their user base.
Some might whip out the Windows CD on finding their machines don't boot and they've no idea why.
'Fixes' have already been posted if affected although it looks like the devs are on top of this already.

Example for anyone who downloaded a the release in question to clarify if they have a boot.ini or needs to create a new one:
http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=651679&page=8#219

Related:

How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP

"Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages when you start your computer

What's of more concern now the release is 'fixed' is why this was passed for release in the 1st place.
Kinda makes you wonder how deletion of the boot.ini was accidental.

Last edited:
heh :) it's a patch to fix windows :) delete the boot.ini no more problems :D

this is crazy.... did they not check this on xp?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back