EU PS3 Launch Delayed

lad_in_brum

OSNN Addict
It looks like the EU PS3 launch will be delayed untill March 2007

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5319190.stm

"The launch of Sony's long-awaited PlayStation 3 games console in Europe has been delayed until March 2007.
Ken Kutaragi, head of Sony's global computer entertainment division, said the machine would still be launched in November in the US and in Japan. "

Last edited:
Dang, that is one heck of a delay :eek:

Thank god it will still be out in Nov for the US :D

It seems like every day there's another piece of bad news about Sony. I think they may have had their day in the console market. I used to love them, PS and PS2 were such brilliant consoles, I can only think that complacency has got the better of them. :(

Woot. More Wii's sold at Christmas in EU then. I'd like if people just gave up on Sony, and Sony themselves just gave up, but it won't happen :(

Why does Europe always get screwed over when it comes to new console launch dates? They always seem to be at the tail end of it. :s

they get screwed because we wont have riots in the eu over a console delay as there may be in japan or the usa :) haha

It seems like every day there's another piece of bad news about Sony. I think they may have had their day in the console market. I used to love them, PS and PS2 were such brilliant consoles, I can only think that complacency has got the better of them. :(

i agree and so i still stand by my point and affirm again that the ps3 will not dominate this time round but the xbox 360 will. I think the extortionate price of the ps3 will seriously hamper their sales, plus i bet that MS will lower the xbox 360's price just as the ps3 comes out.

They are going to feel the wrath of people who buy a crippled lower end version of the PS3. Alot of people are going to be pissed when they find out that they have to buy a high end version to play some of the games later on.

I might still get mine around xmas if my mate is able to get one from HK. Not too sure whether I'm ready to get one just yet - all depends on reviews once it's on the market on November 17th. :)

Based on the fact that Sony ALWAYS without fail either delays or restricts supplies of all its hardware to europe, I cant say I'm suprised.

Having said that I cant see why people wont just buy a pc or an xbox 360. Both products both have a clue about what they are trying to be, whereas the ps3 still hasn't decided what it wants to be.

Having said that I cant see why people wont just buy a pc or an xbox 360. Both products both have a clue about what they are trying to be, whereas the ps3 still hasn't decided what it wants to be.

Because not everyone likes the kinds of games that the XBox or PC has (or, for that matter, want to plunk down the kind of cash needed for a gaming PC). But for the gaming public that plays nothing but sports games, generic shooters, and flimsy EA games, then yeah...I guess I don't particularly see a difference either.

Melon

i agree and so i still stand by my point and affirm again that the ps3 will not dominate this time round but the xbox 360 will. I think the extortionate price of the ps3 will seriously hamper their sales, plus i bet that MS will lower the xbox 360's price just as the ps3 comes out.

The average consumer, I'd say, is used to consoles being in short supply. I've never once been prepared to buy a console during the Christmas season (and, indeed, the XBox 360 certainly didn't deliver for Christmas 2005 either); not to mention that most console launch titles are terrible, IMO.

And, as much as I hate to say it, Europe is the most expendable market for video game consoles. They only care about Japan and North America, for better or for worse.

The PS3 may very well fail in the long run, but I also don't believe that success is assured for the XBox 360 either. I haven't been impressed with their gaming titles, and I was never all that impressed with their titles in the last generation either. In the end, I'll be waiting patiently to see which console is most deserving of my money. I like the kind of games that the PS3 has lined up for the future, but if it's a failure, I'm sure the developers will flood Nintendo or something. Since Japan hates the XBox with a passion, I doubt that their game companies will be picking that console. That reason alone means that you can't count the PS3 out yet, despite numerous marketing blunders.

Melon

Because not everyone likes the kinds of games that the XBox or PC has (or, for that matter, want to plunk down the kind of cash needed for a gaming PC). But for the gaming public that plays nothing but sports games, generic shooters, and flimsy EA games, then yeah...I guess I don't particularly see a difference either.

Melon

I personally prefer the much better RPG, Strategy and Simulation games that the pc has to offer :) (Oh and need for speed :p )

melon good post, i hadn't thought of japans reluctance regarding the 360.

But bear this in mind, when the ps3 launches it will be to a new generation expecting more and more and now and now.... i think the ps3 has taken way too long and now the hype really isn't there anymore, as the 360 has taken away a lot of its shimmer along with the wii coming out this christmas.

Here ya go, this is why Sony doesn't care

Attachments

• Sonymap.gif
    Sonymap.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 136
Why is canada there?
Lol Jk

This is good for all us people who gonna sell our ps3's for mucho money, now i can sell it for a lot more :))

They are cutting U.S. shipments in half as well.

Good Luck Snagging A PS3 — Sony Cuts Console's U.S. Shipment In Half

09.06.2006 2:09 PM EDT

Spokesman says to focus on 1 million to 1.2 million systems available through holidays, not just day-one allocation.

---
If an Xbox 360 was out of reach last year, prepare to clutch air if you try to grab a PS3 when it launches near the end of 2006.
Wednesday morning (September 6), Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi said the company will halve

its worldwide shipments of PlayStation 3 this year to 2 million and will launch the system in North America on November 17 with 400,000 units. In Japan, just 100,000 units will be available at launch.
Kutaragi blamed the drop on manufacturing woes, according to an interview with The Associated Press. Sony is also delaying its launch of the PS3 in Europe, Australia and elsewhere.
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1540261/20060906/index.jhtml?headlines=true

500,000 for two countries? Dropping the ball already.

That's simply pathetic, they really have egg on their face with this one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back