Ethernet Question

N

Not Bman

Mixed question.

Can you split an Ethernet connection into 2?
If yes, is it cheaper to do that, or buy a hub (i think thats the name, more connections then 4, like a router).

I have 2 computers upstairs connected to the router, I have my computer and the 360 connected to it. All 4 connections are taken up, I am making my PS3 my main media server, and well after a couple hours streaming HD files through wireless, it gets choppy and has issues. So I need one more connection on my router, or I guess a hub?

i would go with a switch over a hub.. but yes - it sounds like you need a switch

+1 for a switch as well. You can get gigabit switches relatively cheaply. I have an 8-port D-link gigabit switch connected to my old 10/100 router, then I plug all my computers into the switch instead.

Google for a wiki on router versus hub versus switch if you want to know the technical differences, but possibly like you, it still took me years and a lot of reading to understand that I definitely wanted a switch, not a hub.

Thanks guys. It just sucks because I just got that router. When needing a new one I didn't even think that I needed another connection. Feels like a waste of money if I go get a switch now.

If it makes you feel any better as far as I remember a gigabit router is pretty expensive so unless you bought a really expensive router anyway the total price might be about the same.

If you bought a wireless router then another way to look at it is that there is less of a selection of wireless gigabit routers than separate wireless 10/100 routers and gigabit switches, so you can get the best quality of the separate components.

Got a suggestion on which one I should get (switch that is)?

Got a suggestion on which one I should get (switch that is)?

The D-Link DGS-2208 10/100/1000Mbps 8-Port Desktop Green Ethernet Switch is the highest-rated gigabit switch on NewEgg (412 people's ratings averaging 5 out of 5 eggs), and is what I bought just a couple months ago. I've had no problems with it whatsoever and it's been blazing fast copying between networked computers, especially compared to what I was used to before, and it's also very reasonably priced with the rebate ($29.99 after and has free shipping currently).

There's also a 5-port of the same thing for $4 less. Look at what they have to offer at this link. I suggest sorting by best rating and going from there although I think you'll quickly agree that the 8-port D-Link is the best bang for the buck.

FYI I meant to tell you explicitly that no you can't just split a network cable. :)

I have this router and it does real well at streaming wireless.
Was expensive when it first came out but now it is not.
Reviewers say it is the fastest wireless router.

DIR-655

Wait did I hear you right.

Can you use a Switch with a router?

o... k..

let's start this over

1) what router are you using now
2) what are actually trying accomplish again?

I have the Linksys WRT54GL right now.

All i want to do is have another port/connection.

All 4 are taken up, the device I have on wireless, i want to be wired now.

ok.. the linksys is a wireless router with an integrated switch..

The easiest thing for you to do just buy a 2nd switch. Free up a port on the Linksys, plug the new switch into the empty port on the linksys, reconnect all devices you want into the new switch.

I'm not going to get into the need for cross over cables since almost any switch you buy should do that automagically..

So I can buy the Switch I listed up top for $60, connect that to the router I have now. And everything should work awesome. That is great news.

That won't decrease speeds will it?

Thanks guys.

No it won't decrease speeds, that is exactly what I do. You can use a switch to extend the number of ports on a router. Not the only use but perhaps the main use for them by home users.

On a switch, connect any of the ports to one of the ports on the router and voila, all the other ports on the switch are as good as connected to the router, with the additional advantage in this case that anything connected to the gigabit switch which has a gigabit ethernet connector can communicate with each other 10x faster than with 100Mb as on the router, so if you do home networking between two or more computers and they have gigabit ethernet, then connect them to the switch.

I don't have any of the experiences that the last two reviews on Tiger Direct had. I've definitely used a gigabit connection over Cat5E cable over 5 foot long and it was blazing fast. Also I do have both 100Mb and gigabit devices connected to the switch (the router is 100Mb) and I am still able to communicate at gigabit between devices that handle that.

That's one of the reasons I trust NewEgg reviews more. There's many more of them on there. After all, what's more trustworthy, 412 people rating it 5 out of 5 eggs on NewEgg, or 6 reviews averaging 4 out of 5 on TigerDirect?

Well that is all awesome stuff. I just need to save a bit and get that Switch now. It's not like i NEED it right now anyways, but can't wait!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back