Ethernet dances the light fantastic

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Fibre protocols over Ethernet for the Linux set

ntel has released Linux source code, and set up a community site, to allow Fibre Channel frames to be embedded in Ethernet packets. This means companies using Fibre Channel can make more use of the protocol while maintaining their existing kit.

Open-fcoe will provide a home for developments, as well as the various tools and guides that will be needed by anyone trying the technology.

Fibre Channel can be used over copper cable, or optical connections, and allows for very fast communications, making it popular in large data centers. 10Gb Ethernet offers similar speeds, though is still a developing technology.

With the new technology, customers could get some of the performance benefits associated with Fibre Channel by tapping into existing, less expensive Ethernet networking gear tied to Linux servers.

Right now the implementation is a bit buggy, and there are parts which don't conform to the Linux license so will need to be re-written. Contributions are being sought for the development of a release version.

The Intel effort builds on a number of similar projects in the storage realm to bring Fibre Channel and Ethernet worlds closer. ®

Source
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/18/open-fcoe/

You all know in a lot ways, FCoE is a late respose of the Fiber Channel world to the thread of iSCSI.. as iSCSI started chipping more and more into their storage business and with 10GigE looking to overtake their 4gbs advantage in speed (and even the future 8gbs standard coming in fiber), the thought finally occured to the fiber folks that maybe they should jump on the ethernet bandwagon..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back