Error message

cat826237

OSNN Addict
diskette drive 0 seek failure

Started when I made the CD first in boot order. Plan to reformat after tax season. I have to press F1 to start windows. Everything works ok from then on. Any problems from this and will my format be any problem?

XP Home on Dell computer about 15 months old.

If it says "Diskette drive 0 seek failure", that usually indicates a problem with your floppy drive.

Is the LED constantly lit up on your floppy drive?

Don't have a floppy in the computer. Have one that connects by USB.
Belarc advisor shows that drive 0 is my harddrive.

cat826237 said:
Any problems from this and will my format be any problem?

Insert your XP CD / Recovery CD, boot up & see if it is picked up & loads itself.

If it does & you can see your hard drive then it should be OK.

Do you have multiple hard drives in your PC?

If you are getting a seek error, it is probably having issues reading it. If you enter the BIOS, are all devices listed?

How about if you switch it back to not let your cd drive boot first, do you still get this error. This error usally comes about when you have a driver controller that could not locate specific sector or track. Incorrect configuration in System Setup can cause this. I think it might be wiht your usb drive, your computer prob trys to read this frist before the cd, causing this prob.

Only one hard drive. The floppy does not remain connected all time only when I need to use it. Will try changing boot sequence later.

cat826237 said:
Only one hard drive. The floppy does not remain connected all time only when I need to use it. Will try changing boot sequence later.

In addition to changing boot sequence, if you don't have a floppy drive installed then you should disable 'floppy drive seek' option in one of the BIOS sections (maybe in Chipset section). It will stop the error message coming up during boot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back