error message when trying to delete / win xp

S

sisterpete

running win xp home. trying to delete some folders and files in windows explorer. i get this error message when i try to delete a particular file. i go i to the folder and look, but can't find anything... just like the error says... there's nothing there by that name.

i have deleted everything in the folder except one file, a word file with a totally different name

(11.29.2002_contract=FHGwebsite.doc).

i cannot delete it. when i select it and hit the delete button, nothing happens. i right click on it, but all of the regular right click options are not there.. no cut, copy paste, no delete...

one option that is there is open, so i open it.... word opens up, but there is no document that opens... just the blank gray screen in word.

i don't get it. these folders were copied over to this notebook as a quick backup from our main pc which is running win xp pro.

any ideas???

here is the error message.

cannot delete 112920~1.doc: cannot find the specified file.
make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

i have dozens of these folders that are doing this, all of them have different files in them, but the symptoms are the same.

See how this goes>

Open note pad/file/open. Navigate to the folder/file, highlight it & try deleting it.

View hidden files - then try to delete it that way,, if that don't work, go into safe mode as administrator and delete it that way.

Open a command window, navigate to the folder and try this command

DEL \\.\112920~1.doc

This syntax bypasses the typical reserve-word check. The problem in the case of this file maybe that it has somehow got a not standard filename.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back