Error Loading Operating System

zapoqx

Striking Master
Earlier I tried to install Kubuntu again on my system after I got most of the main parts of windows working and up to date, however, I ended up getting one small problem...

Apparently my DVD was bad SOOO....
I had to stop the installation.

Because of this, I can no longer get in windows.

I tried using FixMbr but because I think that i have 22GB that is unpartitioned, it is not understanding something so it ain't working.

I also tried the bootcfg /rebuild function and it didn't work either.

Edit:
After I checked some more, I am able to get out of the whole Error Loading Operating System but now I get this Intel startup thing that searches for a DHCP and won't get any exe. What I did was

Use FixMBR
Use FixBoot
go into DiskPartition
Deleted the linux partitions that were made
left the main NTFS Windows XP partition alone
buildcfg /rebuild
Typed in the Load Identifier: Windows XP Professional
Typed in the OS Command Option: /fastdetect
exit

Nothing.

I am waiting an answer so I hope someone can answer.

Is there something I should do more on FixMbr?

Last edited:
Have you tried the 'Last know good configuration'?

Insert the XP cd, boot up & follow the prompts.

Last Known Good Configurations??
Well as far as my knowledge knows, for me to do that, I need to get to the windows options. How can I do that if I can't get there? Is there anyother way to do that in the Windows XP cd?

zapoqx said:
Last Known Good Configurations??
Well as far as my knowledge knows, for me to do that, I need to get to the windows options. How can I do that if I can't get there? Is there anyother way to do that in the Windows XP cd?
welll u can get there a nasty way....

when yoru computer is trying to startup, switch it off manually (pressing the on button), then next time the screens starts to load windows (or tries) - the options should come up because it failed to startup previously.

I think you guys missed a trick here, maybe - Zapo, when you said your DVD drive went bad - is that the only optical drive?

If you have another drive (CD'll do) then go to BIOS and put it ahead of HD in the boot order - you may be wanting to take that DVD out anyway if it went bad...

If you do not have another drive I think you'll be wanting to get one!

From there maybe what they are saying makes sense - so long as you boot from CD. Personally I woulda left the Linux partitions in place awaiting new DVD drive and persisted to get a LILO or GRUB on - but that means nothing to help you from where you are now....

A post back on my questions will help you get better advice I think...

well I'm now up and hoping that I can try this time now to fix this...
Let's see...
No, my DVD drive is not bad... here was the deal:
My DVD itself of my Kubuntu DVD I made was a bit dirty so my DVD Drive couldn't read certain sections of the DVD... Thus that I had no choice but to destroy the partitions.

The only partitions available right now is a 71.6 GB NTFS Windows XP and the 23.4GB un-partition drive.

I no longer have the "Error Loading Operating System". This is what comes up on the screen now:
Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporations

For Realtek RTL(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)

Client MAC ADDR: 00 C0 9F blah blah blah

I htink you get it now.

As previously said, I did the FixMBR, Fixboot, and the bootcfg and unless I'm supposed to do something specifically, I guess I would still be missing something.

zapoqx said:
well I'm now up and hoping that I can try this time now to fix this...
Let's see...
No, my DVD drive is not bad... here was the deal:
My DVD itself of my Kubuntu DVD I made was a bit dirty so my DVD Drive couldn't read certain sections of the DVD... Thus that I had no choice but to destroy the partitions.

The only partitions available right now is a 71.6 GB NTFS Windows XP and the 23.4GB un-partition drive.

I no longer have the "Error Loading Operating System". This is what comes up on the screen now:

Client MAC ADDR: 00 C0 9F blah blah blah

I htink you get it now.

As previously said, I did the FixMBR, Fixboot, and the bootcfg and unless I'm supposed to do something specifically, I guess I would still be missing something.

Since the computer cant find an OS on the hard drive its trying to boot from the network now.

The OS is still on teh drive. When I go into Windows Recovery Console, the Windows folder is still there in C:\Windows

So is there any way besides installing Windows all over again????

Try this>>>

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature
To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:
1. Start your computer.
2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

... No offense guys but I should just forget it because I don't think you are understanding. I CANNOT GET TO THAT SCREEN NOW. Reffering to my post above:

I know about the last known good configuration. If I can't get to it, there is no point. The only thing I'm gonna do is what my friend suggested which is to install windows on the other unpartitioned part of the drive and change the info to tell it to load up the other windows. OR try to install the Kubuntu software once more once its cleaned and see if Grub will detect Windows.

Anyway...
Thanks for your help though.

Rather than reinstall you should be able to do a repair install over an existing installation. Boot from the CD and do not go to the recovery install, start the normal installation routine and then follow the prompts to repair the existing installation.

PXE boot is just a network boot so will only occur if it is both selected and a bootable OS can't be found on previous options.

zapoqx said:
... install windows on the other unpartitioned part of the drive and change the info to tell it to load up the other windows. OR try to install the Kubuntu software once more once its cleaned and see if Grub will detect Windows....

Both viable options - beware falling into the trap whereby you COULD end up installing Windows again on a partition with Windows already on it though - because this goes ahead and wil even work, but leaves you with a rather bloated Windows directory structure (I know because I have done it!) and is far from ideal.....

You should be able to fix the existant GRUB to get you where you need to go, but I only know how to advise on that from the Linux side and you seem hosed there right now... - and the REPAIR install advice should remain valid also - so long as you CD boot.... surely you have no issues there?

Why not do an upgrade install of windowsXP over your existing installation? This should keep all your programs etc intact, this is dependant on the type of xp disk you own as to whether you get this option or not of course. If it's available, the only hassle you'll have is having to reinstall all the updates from Microsoft when you've done.

Last edited:
Well I did what my friend suggested which was to install on the unpartitioned part of the drive. I was able to get a boot selection and all. I fixed up the startup and all with my friend's help so ummm... ya. It is all fixed up. Sorry I didn't get back in time to say something. I was still fixing up a few other things :p
Ok, later!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back