error installing xp pro

A

AmarSingh

i built a new comp for my friend and im having trouble installing xp pro. the farthest ive gotten is when booting from the cd i get a stop error 0x0000007e on acpi.sys which comes up as setup finishes loading. Ive tried flashing the bios and turning off power management in the bios, but that is as far as i get.

amd duron 1.2 GHz
ECS K7S5A mainboard
128 mb pc133 ram 1 DIMM
MSI GF2 MX-400
maxtor 40gb

the only things ive got hooked up are video, floppy, hard drive and cdrw. the bios sees them all. i need some help fast.

Originally posted by xsivforce
See if this helps.

thanks man, but i already checked the MSKB. its the first place i look. and btw, i dont have a logitech keyboard, and its not when i shut down...i cant even install...thanks anyways man

Most install problems are caused by graphics or controller cards.
It's probably your graphics card. If the mobo has built in graphics, set it up on that and install the graphics card later.

theres no built in graphics, but ill swap it with a card from my computer and see what happens

installing xp tip

You are having a problem with your ACPI during install. What I would recommend is, when you boot up off of the cdrom to perform the initial installation, (blue screen with text at bottom) press and hold down the F5 key. About half way through this portion of setup , it will ask you if you want to install acpi or standard pc. Choose standard pc option and then let it continue with the setup and see if that works for you.
If it doesnt, then you may need to flash your motherboard BIOS to a newer version.
Just a thought, and hope it helps you out.

I've seen this problem. Go to the Microsoft site and down load the install floppies (6). Then install using them.

i've had the same problem ... it turns out to be a scratched cd.. why don't you try getting a replacement cd...

SUCCESS!!

Success!! I got it to work..i used a different cd and installed a new fan..no more lockups! sweetness.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back