Error 1904, Failed to register a .DLL

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Since this isn't a question, more of a discussion, I figured it was more appropriate here...

OK So I was out in one of our buildings about a week ago doing some department-wide maintenance. We have a technician who was suspended for many reasons, partly because he deployed 20 computers with the wrong image on them. So, I was out there fixing, not re-imaging, just erasing differences pretty much.

While out there, of course everyone knows you get slammed with all these other crazy requests. One of the users got a new PC, Dell GX280 who has a Blackberry device. His old computer was a DELL GX240, also running Windows XP SP1 (we haven't gone to SP2 yet) and his blackberry worked fine. Once the new computer was out, we have a blackberry technician and she was out there trying to get it to work, with no luck. They spent about 4 hours on the phone (apparently) with blackberry support. They worked with one of our Help Desk Technicians, and came to the conclusion that the computer needed Windows XP Service Pack 2 for the Blackberry to run properly because of this error.

Let's backtrack a minute....

We have roughly 25-30 Blackberry users on campus, NO computers run SP2. Why would they need SP2? That's what I said....

/Leaps back into story...

So I called the Help Desk, I wanted to be up to speed with what they tried, etc. The tech told me that he called my boss, and the boss for the campus network, and they both approved that SP2 could be used. I was like, :sigh:

He explained to me his logic behind this, because he found this article. OK, makes sense, but not entirely. That was the error, but upon reading closer, you don't NEED SP2, the fix is merely a component of it. The problem related to the .DLL not registering was because of a MDAC error. You can download and install MDAC 2.8 SP1 seperately, or it is embedded in SP2. That is the component they failed to read.

So, being the sneaky person I am, I downloaded just the MDAC, rebooted, and VOILA! Problem solved.

Thing that got me here is that I am a co-op (this is basically a full-time student worker). There are people making like 10x my pay, and they can't even read a short MS KB article.

No one can know everything, I don't even come close, but when you spend "hours" on something, at least read the article :)

Anyways, the user was jubilant, and my boss looked like a doofus. What else is new? :)

Hmmm, thought I'd get more of a stirring reply. Perhaps I posted in the wrong area?

been there done that man. its fun being a co-op isnt it hehe (hopefully they pay you well enough). And we are young and in my case most of the time i blow away senior tech with issues. Its amazing how many of the still cant read online articles. iv learned just to not do anything our help desk tells us. I only call them if i need server wide changes (domain issues or password resets. on a side note i would like to voice on opinion of the Dell GX280 why the hell did they include only one sata 150 slot. (sorry thats all the subject changing i will do)

The Pay isn't bad, however it's a shame that I have been there for about 14 months and can't receive a raise. They wanted me so bad when I got hired, they gave me the cap on salary :( Not all bad, they pay for UBER exams and certs, going after my MCSE now.

You shouldn't even have to ask the question about the single SATA150, it's Dell. Same reason why they used 250W PSU's up through the GX260. Cost Effectiveness :)

You shouldn't even have to ask the question about the single SATA150, it's Dell. Same reason why they used 250W PSU's up through the GX260. Cost Effectiveness

lol i know. just very frustrating when your domain gets blown and for some reason your admin account password wont work. Add the latest version of knopixx live cd woudnt boot with the hardware with no ability to slave the drive... made for a intresting day.

sucks. the way mine is set up is i get a review every 4 months and get a raise on a good one. The only thing that sucks is that to avoid some legall things in jan i have to take abreak from the job for 3 months then get rehired on. so.. hehe be lucky you dont have to do that hehe.

now that i have completly changed this thread im sure someone is gona yell at me.

VenomXt said:
lol i know. just very frustrating when your domain gets blown and for some reason your admin account password wont work. Add the latest version of knopixx live cd woudnt boot with the hardware with no ability to slave the drive... made for a intresting day.

sucks. the way mine is set up is i get a review every 4 months and get a raise on a good one. The only thing that sucks is that to avoid some legall things in jan i have to take abreak from the job for 3 months then get rehired on. so.. hehe be lucky you dont have to do that hehe.

now that i have completly changed this thread im sure someone is gona yell at me.

In 3 months, I graduate, and I am S.O.L. :)

Have to hit the real world :)

VenomXt said:
yah lol i have a year left. whats your major out of curisoity?

Industrial Technology with a concentration in Networking Technology. I want to be a System Administrator.

lol. basically what mine is. good to know. stay out of texas when you grad hehe ;)

VenomXt said:
lol. basically what mine is. good to know. stay out of texas when you grad hehe ;)

Wow, that doesn't sound very welcoming? :mad:

hehe j/k just stay out of houston for god sakes its 89 out and its 10 at night. i hate the heat hehe.

kcnychief said:
Since this isn't a question, more of a discussion, I figured it was more appropriate here...

OK So I was out in one of our buildings about a week ago doing some department-wide maintenance. We have a technician who was suspended for many reasons, partly because he deployed 20 computers with the wrong image on them. So, I was out there fixing, not re-imaging, just erasing differences pretty much.

While out there, of course everyone knows you get slammed with all these other crazy requests. One of the users got a new PC, Dell GX280 who has a Blackberry device. His old computer was a DELL GX240, also running Windows XP SP1 (we haven't gone to SP2 yet) and his blackberry worked fine. Once the new computer was out, we have a blackberry technician and she was out there trying to get it to work, with no luck. They spent about 4 hours on the phone (apparently) with blackberry support. They worked with one of our Help Desk Technicians, and came to the conclusion that the computer needed Windows XP Service Pack 2 for the Blackberry to run properly because of this error.

Let's backtrack a minute....

We have roughly 25-30 Blackberry users on campus, NO computers run SP2. Why would they need SP2? That's what I said....

/Leaps back into story...

So I called the Help Desk, I wanted to be up to speed with what they tried, etc. The tech told me that he called my boss, and the boss for the campus network, and they both approved that SP2 could be used. I was like, :sigh:

He explained to me his logic behind this, because he found this article. OK, makes sense, but not entirely. That was the error, but upon reading closer, you don't NEED SP2, the fix is merely a component of it.

google that error. ;)

Hate to say it, but they were right. I don't pretend to know the number of PCs you have on that school network - prolly equivelent of mid-sized corporation. In any case, SP2 should be installed on all XP builds now - unless you have no remote users, and the boxes can stay internal to the network at all times. If you do have remote users, they should be going through a passthrough server using VPN, or something equivilent that will protect the network from the out of date PC build. When these users come back in and log straight on the network - a virus check should be performed at start up, and network login denied until it's completed.

Kudos to them finding the issue, and diagnosing it properly. Kudos to you for finding a shortcut. Down the line you will need to spend more time installing SP2 on that workstation however ;) If permission came from on high that it's allowed, install it.

my two bits, no intention of offending. :)

Mastershakes said:
google that error. ;)

Hate to say it, but they were right. I don't pretend to know the number of PCs you have on that school network - prolly equivelent of mid-sized corporation. In any case, SP2 should be installed on all XP builds now - unless you have no remote users, and the boxes can stay internal to the network at all times. If you do have remote users, they should be going through a passthrough server using VPN, or something equivilent that will protect the network from the out of date PC build. When these users come back in and log straight on the network - a virus check should be performed at start up, and network login denied until it's completed.

Kudos to them finding the issue, and diagnosing it properly. Kudos to you for finding a shortcut. Down the line you will need to spend more time installing SP2 on that workstation however ;) If permission came from on high that it's allowed, install it.

my two bits, no intention of offending. :)

I did google that error, and no offense was taken, however, you are wrong :)

I quote the MS KB article...

CAUSE

Your computer has mismatched Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) files or a damaged MDAC installation.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, download the latest Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) version.

You can download the latest MDAC version from the Microsoft.com Download Center. To do this, follow these steps: 1.Visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=78cac895-efc2-4f8e-a9e0-3a1afbd5922e (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=78cac895-efc2-4f8e-a9e0-3a1afbd5922e)
2.In the Change Language list, select the appropriate language, and then click Go.Note MDAC 2.8 is also installed when you install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). If your operating system is Microsoft Windows XP, you may choose to install Windows XP SP2 instead of following the steps to download the latest MDAC version. To install Windows XP SP2, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us (http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us)

So, therefore MDAC can be installed seperately, or as part of the SP2 Update.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back