Err, Critical Update? Don't waste my time...

chaos945

OSNN Senior Addict
Are they kidding?

Critical Update for Windows (KB833407)
To install this update, click Install Now.
This item updates the Bookshelf Symbol 7 font included in some Microsoft products. The font has been found to contain unacceptable symbols. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. read more...

Microsoft announced today that it is pulling symbols deemed "offensive" from it's font libraries. In an unprecedented act of political correctness Microsoft Corporation has releases a "Critical Update" which forces the removal of the "BookShelf Symbol 7" font library (Bssym7.ttf) which contains several symbols which may offend enlightened persons with elevated sensibilities as and may cause the immediate failure of personal computers running various versions of the Windows operating system.The font library in question (Bssym7.ttf) was originally released on Friday, November 17th 2000. Microsoft has no immediate comment on why it took 4 years to discover the offensive symbols. Industry...

chaos945 said:
Font included below for those wanting to take a look.

AWwwww I wanted to see what was offensive, but you're zip looks to be corrupted :eek: :(

NetRyder said:
Anyone notice anything "offensive?"

if you squint your eyes and kinda tilt your head to the left it ALMOST looks like....a totally normal font! Its probably offensive because its totally pointless, yet another waste of Kbs on the old hdd...

Sure it was only moaned about so I remember when outlook 2003 was released, or a pre-release.

I think it was a Jewish organisation that minged about it.

I see nowt wrong with it myself.

Political correctness is destroying my Country & seems this disease is now spreading around the World.

Just wondered, (so I can check it myself) where I can download this font. Any links that work?

I have googled (uk/com/) all I get is 'how-to-remove-it' links.

I want to see for myself what is so offensive about this font.

(Thanks in advance for any working links or (ha ha ha ha) lame comments) :)

Lee said:
Just wondered, (so I can check it myself) where I can download this font. Any links that work?

I have googled (uk/com/) all I get is 'how-to-remove-it' links.

I want to see for myself what is so offensive about this font.

(Thanks in advance for any working links or (ha ha ha ha) lame comments) :)

theres a thumbnail above if you look. Also, i've just read that this is a japanese font. arent MS aware that in several asian religious methodologies the swastika is not a negative symbol at all?

Graebob said:
theres a thumbnail above if you look. Also, i've just read that this is a japanese font. arent MS aware that in several asian religious methodologies the swastika is not a negative symbol at all?

You are quite correct, it is quite common in the Far East and a lot older that the Nazi use of it.

what a load of rubish realising a critical patch :p best thing to have done was to sneak it in with sp2 ;)

swastika

The 'swastika' was a symbol of Christ on the cross. The Nazi's hijacked it as to oppress people. Hindu's, Japanese, far eastern people & Budhists (if that is right spelling) also use it in one form or another.

Why is it we should be deprived of using it (not for political, antisemitic or race hate) for maps (Japanese as seen on sites) I've seen.

The font was taken from Japanese fonts..Conspiricy theories it aint.

I really wanted to say something to get it off my chest about this thread (happy it was posted, spot on), but the PC brigade will sodomise me.

I will make my last comments about this post here and now.

It would have been nice of M$ to put it on recommended section, or to stop taking on part of socities whinning. K, great post chaos945 !

The Nazi interpretation was just one of many. The swastika means something completely different to me as an Indian.

Can someone show me where the Swasticka is in the above thumbnail. I have studied it for 10 mins and can not see it

I remember we had swastica symbols on the tiles of my high school. It didn't mean anything before WW2 since the high school was made years before WW2.

Wasn't there a "critical update" not to long ago along the same lines? The only symbol I saw then was the Star of David...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back