Epox EP-8RDA+ RAM questions

RagnaroK

Must be dreaming...
Hi,
Currently my system consists of two sticks of 256MB DDR333 RAM and seems to be running in dual channel. My question is, I've still got a 3rd RAM slot free, and was wondering if I added another DDR333 RAM stick, would it interfere with the dual channel, or supplement it?

Also, I can't run different speed rated RAM in one system correct?

Lastly, currently my FSB is @ 133MHz while my RAM is running @ 166MHz. Any dangers or problems running it like that?

Thanks, appreciate any guidance. :)

i haven't seen any solid proof one way or another how hte dual-channel works with a third stick. i want to say the first and second stick will be used first in dual-channel mode, and after that gets filled up, the third stick will be accessed in single-channel speed. like...

channel 1: [____256mb____]
channel 2: [_________256mb+256mb_________]
... and the memory gets filled left to right.

different speed memory can be run together, but it will be at the speed of the slowest stick.

and it's okay to run your fsb and mem Asynchronously. but in most cases, it will be better to run them syncronously at 133 and lower your memory timings. when they're out of sync, the chipset has to implement a buffer and you lose almost as much performance as you gain by running at a faster speed.

or better yet, increase your cpu's fsb to 166 and lower it's multiplier. ;)

[OT] How dis Taurus get "Posts: Naked" before his post count? Did he monkey with his location, or does he post in the buff? [/OT]

seriously though - sound advice and nice post Taurus

After some research, I've discovered that I've been running single-channel DDR for who knows how long. I've been running this setup:

dualddr3.jpg

When I should have been running either one of these:

dualddr1.jpg
dualddr2.jpg

*sigh* I should have researched sooner... I feel like an idiot. :D

Thanks for the info Taurus. Oh, and btw, so what you're saying is that if I use 3 sticks, dual-channel will still be enabled, it's just that one stick will run slower?

Taurus said:
...and it's okay to run your fsb and mem Asynchronously. but in most cases, it will be better to run them syncronously at 133 and lower your memory timings. when they're out of sync, the chipset has to implement a buffer and you lose almost as much performance as you gain by running at a faster speed.

or better yet, increase your cpu's fsb to 166 and lower it's multiplier. ;)

Interesting... I'm still running in single-channel mode, but I was just testing running fsb and mem in sync to see if I got a performance boost, using SiSoftware Sandra Standard 2004.

This is when fsb and mem were running async:
Benchmark Results
RAM Bandwidth Int Buffered aEMMX/aSSE 1928MB/s
RAM Bandwidth Float Buffered aEMMX/aSSE 1818MB/s

And this is after, running sync:
Benchmark Results
RAM Bandwidth Int Buffered aEMMX/aSSE 2458MB/s
RAM Bandwidth Float Buffered aEMMX/aSSE 2260MB/s

Close to half a gigabyte increase in bandwidth... :D

Mainframeguy said:
[OT] How dis Taurus get "Posts: Naked" before his post count? Did he monkey with his location, or does he post in the buff? [/OT]

seriously though - sound advice and nice post Taurus
thanks. :)
i've been known to post in the buff. well, not known, per se, til now. lol :D

RagnaroK said:
Thanks for the info Taurus. Oh, and btw, so what you're saying is that if I use 3 sticks, dual-channel will still be enabled, it's just that one stick will run slower?
welcome. :)
and yes, i've seen boards with three equal sticks and they still register as "dual-channel enabled" on POST, so i'm assuming it's dual up until the first two sticks gets filled.

RagnaroK said:
Interesting... I'm still running in single-channel mode, but I was just testing running fsb and mem in sync to see if I got a performance boost, using SiSoftware Sandra Standard 2004.
[...]
Close to half a gigabyte increase in bandwidth... :D
nice! :)
what were the before and after speeds on your fsb and mem? and if you lowered the clock on your memory, you can lower the timings and get even more performance.

Taurus said:
nice! :)
what were the before and after speeds on your fsb and mem? and if you lowered the clock on your memory, you can lower the timings and get even more performance.

Well, while running async, my fsb was @ 133MHz and mem @ 166MHz (default multiplier and timings). Now running sync both @ 166MHz; I just lower the multiplier for my CPU. I'll try lowering the timings on the mem later. However, I use generic RAM... so would it handle running at lower timings?

Running at lower timings always works.

And thanks for this thread. I just got a dual ddr board (nf2 Ultra) and was about to start experimenting with #sticks, sync etc to see what gives me the best overall performance. SO far:

I was OC the fsb 181 and memory 141 (CL 2.0) and getting surprisingly poor results.

I just switched to OC memory 166 (had to got to 3.0 CL) and will see if that improves things. FSB at stock 166. (Note I have a sad ram combo. Crucial 256 MB - one stick 333 the other 266.)

Well, I'm hosed. the new MB won't go into Dual DDR mode. I have three DDR Dimms available for testing:

Crucial 256MB 333 CL2.5 double sided
Crucial 256MB 266 CL2.5 double sided
Spektek 256MB 266 CL2.5 single sided

After hours of trying different combinations (yes in the right slots, and all the others too). It looks like the little comment in the manual is true. "Must use like size and type DIMMs for Dual DDR to work."

A 266 and 333 won't go into dual ddr no matter what I set the bios clock & CL to.

The 2 - 266 won't go into dual ddr probably because of double sided (15 chips) vs single sided (8 chip) architecture.

The annoying thing is I've sent good (Crucial & Kingston) 16 chip DIMMs to friends in need this year. "No good deed goes unpunished!" :(

Anyone have any comments or suggestions (other than not buying ECS MB's). If not it looks like a trip in for another crucial 333.

Why did I buy an ECS MB considering my opinion of them? (Barton 2600 plus NF2 Ultra 400 for $99 with a 2 year no questions asked replacement warantee.) MB and CPU are doing fine At 181 FSB and XP2800.

No probs LeeJend. Well, from what I know, to have dual-channel DDR, you have to have "identical" sticks. Though it probably work with cross brands (I haven't tested myself), might be easier just to buy another identical stick of Crucial or something. Up to you. :)

And remember to sync fsb and mem, you'll get best results IMO.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back