Encyclopedia of XP tweaks

Well, i guess i've been out of the loop here, i was moving so i was without net access for a couple of days, but what's all this about a guy going off about including the services list in the doc? Just curious, I would like to read it if someone can let me know where to find his antics......i'm easily entertained....heh, thanks

hey...guess what...my evil post is coming soon, AND, the 300th post is coming here too...this is gonna be hard, but I'm timing the two, so I'm holding off on an excellllllant tweak, one of my favorites that I just forgot about, everybody'll want this one, so hold your breath, cuz ya not gonna get it till the 300th post here...hehhehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

Re: ...

Originally posted by dejav00
OOOo...I can't wait:D:D:D

hey, deja, good to see you...I don't think it's gonna happen, and since I'm planning it, it doesn't mean anything, but, in the mean time, I'm gonna fill this gap with a quick one everyone should at least take a look at...this is not the big one I mentioned in my previous post

I like wordpad, but I refine it, and everyone should, I won't buy a car without electric windows, and neither should you, so;

open word pad, and first thing to do is hit format, and check "word wrap"...

next thing to do is change the font...same thing, hit format, then hit font... I use " Footlight MT Light"

and then, you should probably increase the size...same thing, hit format, font, then size...try 11...see if you like it

I knew I couldn't do it...gotta go to bed, and I won't be back till tomorrow, so I'm gonna make this my evil post...an excellant tweak, everyone should start with this one;

did you know your address bar is actually a search engine???
ya, just type in anything you'd type in your search engine, and it'll search for ya...BUT THE DEFAULT SEARCH IS FUJISTIC (it's msn), so, I'm gonna show you how to make the default engine in the search bar google, or whatever you like, and you might never have to hit your search button again!!!!

ok...this is how you customize the autoSearch in the adress bar so that the address bar searches go to your preferred engine rather than msn..

hit the search button on your ie toolbar...hit the customize button that you'll find in the tree on the left...if you can't find the customize button, it's probably hidden, just click the small double arrow on the top right of that tree...customize'll pop out...then hit the autosearch settings button in the lower left corner...wait a sec or two, and a window will pop up, with pull down menues...you'll know what to do from there...I use "google sites", and hardly ever have to go to my search button...this is great, you just google search strieght from the address bar...

enjoy

hmmm, wish this worked for me. I can't even start this tweak, 1) I don't get a tree on the left. I get the damn animated dog. 2) there are no double arrows...

any ideas? Don't be evil, this sounds like a grrrrrreat tweak

Not exactly a tweak, and probably common knowledge, but I thought I'd put it here.

Along with the winkey shortcuts posted by Dealer a while back, one that can come in handy is Alt+F4, which closes the currently opened window.
And if no window is opened, ie if you're on the desktop, this shortcut will open the Windows "Shutdown" dialog.

Alt+Escape is equally useful, as it allows you to go from one opened window to another (but I use it mainly to quickly exit from a full screen game, when I want to go back to it rapidly after).

And here are a few more I've just discovered :
If an item is selected:
CTRL while dragging a file - Copies the file
CTRL - SHIFT while dragging a file - Creates a shortcut to the file
SHIFT - DELETE - Deletes an item without sending it to the recycle bin.
ALT-ENTER - Display a file's properties.
F2 - To rename the file

------------------------------------------------

Apart from that, I thought I'd share another discovery with you guys, even though it's not at all in the tweaking department.
It's a little freeware which allows you to print a list of all your installed applications.
Super useful when you are about to format and want to know all that you've added to your system, isn't it ?
(Another option, which I've used up 'til now, is to print a list of all the folders in the "My Programs" directory.)

It can be found here http://www.judge-software.co.uk/downloads/ipp.zip

(And if you're interested in a freeware that'll allow you to print the contents of any folder, such as "My Programs", look here )

And one more that I just got from a certain ozymandias, in a different forum.

To shut down or restart very quickly, press Winkey -> u -> u -> Enter -> Enter.

(Don't do as I first did and hold down the Winkey. -Press them in sequence.)

Like the alt+F4 combination above, you'll bring up the "Shutdown" dialog. But with this you don't need to be on the desktop. And the last "Enter" just activates whatever option is already highlighted (Shutdown, Restart, etc.)

Originally posted by dreamliner77
hmmm, wish this worked for me. I can't even start this tweak, 1) I don't get a tree on the left. I get the damn animated dog. 2) there are no double arrows...

any ideas? Don't be evil, this sounds like a grrrrrreat tweak

I won't be back till tomorrow...I'm trying to backwords engineer my way to that puppy, and then tell you how to get to customize...believe it or not, (embarrased), I haven't been able to get that pooch back...whoever can do it, please post for dream how to get into his customize dialogue...

try to make sure you get this one...everybody should use the search engine of your own choice, an d lots of options for various specific searches are presented to you when you do get to the dialogue

(dammmmmit...I wanted my evil post to last longer then a couple of hours)

Originally posted by Ramanuman
And one more that I just got from a certain ozymandias, in a different forum.

To shut down or restart very quickly, press Winkey -> u -> u -> Enter -> Enter.

(Don't do as I first did and hold down the Winkey. -Press them in sequence.)

alt + f4 is huge...once you get used to this, it'll one of the most bestest windows features...

grrrrr

Hello y'all

Aaarrrggghhh!....I still cannot get my sys to power off on shutdown...(i.e. as win98 did when 'shutdown' button was clicked)....tried disabling the ATM Legacy thingy, no difference, and still it sits at the 'it's now safe to turn off yer 'puter' screen....I've not changed anything in the BIOS since I ran '98, formatted & clean installed XP so what gives with this?...Ahh, such a minor thing but it bugs me..*G*

Any other suggestions out there??...

Thanky....Carol

Re: grrrrr

Originally posted by Carol
Hello y'all

Aaarrrggghhh!....I still cannot get my sys to power off on shutdown...(i.e. as win98 did when 'shutdown' button was clicked)....tried disabling the ATM Legacy thingy, no difference, and still it sits at the 'it's now safe to turn off yer 'puter' screen....I've not changed anything in the BIOS since I ran '98, formatted & clean installed XP so what gives with this?...Ahh, such a minor thing but it bugs me..*G*

Any other suggestions out there??...

Thanky....Carol
If you have ACPI enabled in your bios then you're looking at updating your bios and reinstalling XP to get it picked up correctly... no matter what you do, it's going to take a reinstallation. You can also 'force' acpi support, but it's kind of complicated... hopefully a bios flash and clean installation will cure it for you.

In 98 there used to be this option-- shift+restart --that would restart Windows but not the machine.

It doesn't seem to work with 2000 or XP.
Any equivalent ?
:confused:

ha...300th post...this tweak is for dialups....speed us up a smidge...

stop the animation, it seems too speed up the page a little bit...see if your browsing faster if you do this....especially on sites where fools like me put a gif on every post

go to the tool bar, and hit Tools, internet options. hit adavanced tab in the window that pops up...scroll down to "multimedia" clear the check mark from the play animations box.

ps...if you don't want to dissable all animation, you can temporarily dissable the animation on any page by hitting the escape button, but wait till the page is done loading

Originally posted by dealer

I won't be back till tomorrow...I'm trying to backwords engineer my way to that puppy, and then tell you how to get to customize...believe it or not, (embarrased), I haven't been able to get that pooch back...whoever can do it, please post for dream how to get into his customize dialogue...

(dammmmmit...I wanted my evil post to last longer then a couple of hours)
Maybe I can help...
Open up search in IE. On the left side at the bottom there is an option link called "internet".
click on it and then on the left side top is a toolbar and customize should be there(or arrows, click on them till you see customize) and then click on the autosearch button atthe bottom right of the pop up window and choose Google Sites (or whatever search engine you like.
Thanks dealer-would have never have known about this (or others found in this thread). Had always been curious about what those links did, but never tried them till now.
Oh and as a afterthought, if you need to search your computer fo a file or folder, you might have to click another of those links, specifically find folders or files, as it seems the search function remembers the last option it was in.

Hmmm

Well, thanks for the suggestions anyways everyone...

Like I said, it's but a minor annoyance, and definately not worth a reinstall..*S*

Guess XP just wants ya to be totally sure ya wanna shut off the 'puter...*G*

Laterz eh?

highlander...great...thanx for covering the dog...that'll help everybody that has that pooch...this is a tweak everybody should perform...pretty simple, and plenty powerfull

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back