Encyclopedia of XP tweaks

*Pheeeew!*

D*mn it's boring to finish the tweak document, BUT...

...I'm almost finished!!!

Thanks for the support out there!

YAY! Finished... it looks nice now...

I did not do the Services list...

Hi Eproxus,
Its great that you took time to organize the list, but when I open it in Wordpad there seems to be a lot of gaps. Has it been edited with Word and I'm missing some important information. ?

It opens OK in Word, but you didn't run spell check...I realize this would take a while, so I went to do a spelling and grammar run-through, however...Word wants to edit this doc using a French Canadian dictionary...I've disabled auto language detection in Word, made sure my default language was set to US English, and still I can't spell check in English...weird. Any ideas?

Good work, btw!

here's another forgotten keyboard shortcut that everyone should use more then they do...instead of using the mouse to go back a page...(I hate aiming that mouse)...just hit the back button on the keyboard, much faster

updated tweak file

I got Spellcheck to work on my comp, so i checked the new doc. I also caught a few references to xp-erience.org that were labled xp-erience.com, so i changed those too. And i changed the example site on the ctrl+enter shortcut for quick url's in IE to yahoo, since htat shortcut only works for .com extentions (added disclaimer to that effect for that section also). Here's the updated file.......

instead of using the mouse to go back a page...(I hate aiming that mouse)...just hit the back button on the keyboard, much faster

i believe that dealer meant the "backspace" button on the keyboard......;)

Thanks guys!!! I had a lot of work with the file, sat about two hours with it, I'm running a swedish version of word, so it kinda weirded up on me when making an english document [insert comment of choice about Microsoft here].

It's fine now I suppose?

NOTE: The file is a word file, so open it with word or word viewer...

I love the doc, but ypu're not quite finnished Hehe...first, since we're posting credits...please make sure ramumans name is credited...I couldn't find it

next a tweak that belongs int this zip;

gonna put the cpu meter in the tray at boot up...very useful

Create the shortcut for the taskmanager with the target C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe

On the taskmgr shortcut that you just put on your desktop, right click, hit Properties...now Change the Run Command to; minimized.

Rename the shortcut to "CPU Meter" or whatever...right click and hit cut.

Now right click the start menu, hit all users, programs, startup .

Paste the shortcut into the startup folder. If you restart, the cpu meter should be in the tray, if it's not, then from the Windows Task Manager window hit options - and then "Minimize On Use" then"Hide When Minimized".

Now minimize the Task Manager

also, I think the 100% screen for browsing tweak that I posted a few back on this thread belongs in this zip too

and once again...great fujistic work

:cool:

I'm a bit short on time for the moment, anyone else who feel for it?

Hi guys,
I was away for a while and I came back to see you've been working on the file...
-Great ! :)

If you read back in this thread, you'll see that my original intention was only to create a template that would trigger some collective effort.
But I was begining to think I'd have to keep at it all by myself.

A few points :

1) Although the layout looks much nicer now, I think a good thing about the original was the table of content : if you opened the .doc with Word, it had hyperlinks. I.e., if you clicked on a title in the table it would send you to the corresponding article.
(I thought that feature made up for the lack of any nice layout...)
Maybe it'd be nice to put that back in ?

(I'll see if I can muster the patience to work on it again and do it myself. :rolleyes:
)

2) Whoever works on it again could maybe send a copy of the final version to Waddy, to be posted in the main download section.

3) Why not add a link to this thread, on top of the ones to this site and "the other site" ?
That is, for the purpose of having anyone interested be able to jump easily in and continue the work.

4) Thanks to Dealer for suggesting my name be put in.
Modesty kept me from doing it :cool:

5) As a matter of fact, I personaly think it would be better to refrain from authoring the document itself, so as to try and keep it a collective "work in progress"... (Even though I guess that's outside of my will now.)

For example Exprosus, if someone works on the .doc again and only adds the hyperlinks I just mentionned, should they be able to change your name to theirs in the "credits" section ?
After all, you simply re-organized a document I've originally made ; and I myself have simply assembled and organized cut & pastes from several articles other people had made...

What do you think ?

Finally, just want to say once more : Good work !

Ramanuman: Check the Front page news, waddy already posted the zip there :)

Funny...I thought that because I downloaded the zip from dialup,(god, I'm sure dialup is what destroyed the dot com industry) it somehow corrupted, and I didn't get the hyperlinks in the download...hehe..see how dumb I can be, hehe, and ya, whoever improves this collective work can just add their credit to the doc, but leave the other doc creators with credit as well, we're all pretty darn proud...and btw, anyone that wants to claim authorship for anything in here, please email me, or make a post, and we'll do our best to get it right...

ok, hold the press...before anyone updates the zip, this next is a good one

we're gonna show you how to put your own send to's in the right click

Windows' Send To is such a time saver...right click on a file in an Explorer window or on the desktop, hit send to, and puff... the fujisim goes streight to the floppy , or desktop as a shortcut, ot the Documents folder, or to an email...ha...this is great!...so now lets make it more valuable...add your own shortcuts to the send to, and send to notepad, or your choice of files, or whatever...here's how you do it;

To add a shortcut to the Send To menu...hit the windows key+r...then type Sendto, and enter...right click on a blank spot in the folder,hit new, Shortcut to launch a wizard that'll let you quickly create shortcuts...yessss

Okay... BIG sorry for the name things and I'm so sorry, but when I worked on it I did not knew the original author's name so I went with what I had (it didn't say in the file who's made it) ... I thought that it would "fix itself" when posted here. So PLEASE add your names!!! And I should not stand as author, sorry again.

About the hyperlinkstuff... isn't kinda hard to update and edit, when you add new tweaks? Or maybe Word is good at that... I dont't know that much...

Last, Ramanuman, I think all your points seems more than reasonable!

Hi Exprosus,
No need to be sorry.
-You'd just done great work on the thing and were proud, I guess. Just as I was myself, after quite a few days of compiling, arranging, editing, etc.
And you couldn't have known if you hadn't followed the thread since the begining.
(But I must admit I felt a little fujied when I saw your name at the bottom... -It's hard to let go :rolleyes: )

In my opinion, it just doesn't make any sense if everybody who works on it--no matter how great or small the improvements--gets to claim authorship.

Unless maybe we do as Dealer suggests and add our names to a list of all who collaborates...

For the hyperlinks, there's indeed a trick with Word. But maybe I overestimated the number of people who know that software.
I'll see to add them back, while trying to keep your nice layout.

In any case, no hard feelings whatsoever. And I repeat what I said earlier : this document was meant to be improved on by whoever felt concerned. So in that sense I was super happy to see you'd felt it worthwhile :)

----------------------------------------------

Dealer, is it just me or is there some problem with your "Sendto" tweak ?
I try to follow your instructions--"windows key"+r -> type "Sendto"--and I end up with a message saying "Sendto" is not a valid command...

And finally, I guess you'll all have seen what happened over in that "XP services and Tweaks File ripoff" thread over there.

All seems in order now. I talked with that Thomas McGuire guy and we took the "Services" document out.

But what a shame !

Originally posted by Ramanuman
Hi Exprosus,
No need to be sorry.

(But I must admit I felt a little fujied when I saw your name at the bottom... -It's hard to let go :rolleyes: )

In my opinion, it just doesn't make any sense if everybody who works on it--no matter how great or small the improvements--gets to claim authorship.

Unless maybe we do as Dealer suggests and add our names to a list of all who collaborates...

In any case, no hard feelings whatsoever. And I repeat what I said earlier : this document was meant to be improved on by whoever felt concerned. So in that sense I was super happy to see you'd felt it worthwhile :)

Dealer, is it just me or is there some problem with your "Sendto" tweak ?
I try to follow your instructions--"windows key"+r -> type "Sendto"--and I end up with a message saying "Sendto" is not a valid command...

we'll re write the services, no big deal...as far as the sendto from run, someon else let me no if the send to folder doesn't come up for ya

I've just checked dealer's "Sent to" tweak and it works fine for me.
Boy did that guy have a bee in his bonnet or what, I felt sorry for you, at the end of the day you were only trying to help people.

Well, I guess I can't say it too many times: SORRY!

(The sendto tweak works for me too, maybe it doesn't work for upset persons? <- JOKE :p )

Ramanuman, I said that I did claim authorship for the one and only reason: I did not know who made the file from the beginning, I actually thought about quite a time and then decided to let it solve itself as soon I posted the file again, I mean some of the guys would see it. Did not expect all the commosion though. Next time, put your name on it! But... let's leave it for now, shall we?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back