Encouraging Descriptive Subjects

baser5nature

OSNN Addict
How bout we all think about the next time we leave a post for help, or other reasons in any Forum. It seems that subjects like "help!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and "look at this", or "what the hell?" do get some attention from the usual superheros of forums that feel the need to read absolutely every post. But what happed to being straight forward, informative, concise? I'd like to see more people using descriptive words in their subjects... If you were searching through the tv-guide, and the titles of all the shows were "watch this show", or "gotta see this", or "check this out" how do you decide which show will appeal to you? How do you know when a show you like is on?

So... let's all start using more descriptive subjects. People looking to aid those in trouble, or need help themselves should be able to decide what a thread is all about before they even click on it to read the first post. In fact i think this practice would most definitely reduce the number of duplicate threads, and perhaps even encourage more people to join the forums because they will find the information they are looking for...

It just makes sense...

its actually in the forum guidelines to use descriptive subjects, but its not very well enforced

• Do not use vague words in your topic.
Topics such as "help me" will often be ignored- Members will be more likely to view a thread if the topic is more definitive.

Originally posted by Khayman
its actually in the forum guidelines to use descriptive subjects, but its not very well enforced

• Do not use vague words in your topic.
Topics such as "help me" will often be ignored- Members will be more likely to view a thread if the topic is more definitive.
I elect Khayman to enforce these rules :p

Ok, but then i need to be a super mod :D

/me is 1 of the sad ppl that try to at least read every single post.

i manage quite well reaally...but i normally miss out online gaming etc cus i never do it:eek:

someone should write a script that will determine whether or not the subject is descriptive, ie... if stupid words like help, and please are the only words that make up the subject, it will prevent the user from posting until they make their subject more descriptive.

A good start would be to check the number of words in the subject, any less than three and there's no way it's descriptive enough...

any takers, i not much of a code writer, especially when it comes to web stuff... but i am teaching myself to create flash presentations, and stuff...

the thing is
how many people actually do read right the whole way through the rules and guidelines?
i know that i sure didnt read it when i first came to the site
and it was only after a while that i did:eek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back