Enable Full Administrator account on all versions of vista

American Zombie

Staff member
Political Access
First thing I do is enable the admin account (before installing programs) then delete the account that was made during setup.

No virtualization of folders or registry entries and no UAC (or run as admin) when running on the admin account.

For Windows Vista Ultimate /Business/ Enterprise versions :

Click on Windows Vista Start, and type in “secpol.msc” in the search area and click Enter. (You may receive a prompt from UAC,(User Account Control) approve/login and proceed)

In the left list, choose “Local Policies“, then “Security Options“

Set “Accounts: Administrator account status” to Enabled.

Set “User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account” to Disabled.

For Windows Vista Home Basic / Home Premium versions:

Click on Windows Vista Start, and type in “cmd” in the search area, right click on “Command Prompt” and select ‘Run as Administrator” option from the opened context menu.

In the opened elevated command prompt type in “net users Administrator /active:yes” (Note the capital “A” in Administrator) and press Enter, you will get a confirmation as “The command completed successfully”.

Click on Windows Vista Start again, and type in “regedit” in the search area and click Enter to open the Windows Vista registry editor.Then navigate to the following Windows Vista registry key:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

Double click on “FilterAdministratorToken” and set it to “0“

Log off the computer and when you return to the login screen you will see the administrator account. Login with admin account then rename the account if you want to.

Since you now are total admin there is no reason to have the "run as administrator" option in the right-click context menu. The reg files in the zip can remove or add it for you.

Attachments

• RunAsAdmin.zip
    539 bytes · Views: 259
Last edited:
Re: [COPIED] Enable Full Administrator account on all versions of vista

Copied post to new thread since it is very handy and will get lost in its original thread.

Poured glue all over too for good measure!

this is a great post but I want to warn everyone against running in root for the majority of your projects, bad idea

This will allow you to rename the username account, but, it will still say administrator in the user folder. Also, you will have to log into the pc with administrator as your username - Unless I did something wrong, as I followed this to the T and I still have to do what I mention above.

Why bother renaming administrator?

I don't mind logging in as Administrator because it shows my actual username on the desktop. But when I go to the user folder, I some times get confused. And we all know how easy that is lol ..

hah! you may be right, a mod does useful stuff - goodo! reppage

Isn't this just the same as going into User Accounts and then disabling UAC?

this is a great post but I want to warn everyone against running in root for the majority of your projects, bad idea

didnt xp let you do this ;)

Added "run as admin" removal file to first post.

This will allow you to rename the username account, but, it will still say administrator in the user folder. Also, you will have to log into the pc with administrator as your username - Unless I did something wrong, as I followed this to the T and I still have to do what I mention above.

Where did you change the name?

I went to run then typed control userpasswords2

Highlight account > properties then changed user name and full name

Reboot

Through the user account control, like you zombie. Although I went into it a different way. It will not change the user folder name from Administrator.

Doh! I see, I tried to change the name of an existing account... That is why it was staying as administrator. Doing it with a new account will allow you to save it. Sheesh, I will be doing a reformat here soon, so I will change it then.

Last edited:
blimey - are you a resurrection or something! No posts for four years - then you return!

Great post AZ, unfortunately it won't work for me at work as its all driven by group policy, and even though I could probably bypass it means I wouldn't get the "user experience" :dead:

Teriffic for when I get a castoff rig with Vista on it though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back