Email Problems Under OE

B

Bablos

I'm having trouble getting my emails with OE under XP Home - it's only happened to me yesterday, and it's normally OK. I get the following error message;

The connection to the server has failed. Account: '<account>', Server: '<POP server>', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

This means nothing to me, so can anyone help? Anyone know what's going on here, and what I need to do to resolve it? I know email access to my ISP is fine, as I can access it from another machine.

Hope someone can help.

I get a similar message sometimes, but generally if u retry to pull ur mail down it works. Did u install a firewall or virus scanner since ur OE worked??

cos NAV skrew'd up my email - so if ur havin problems disable da NAV email cheker - if u have NAV installed

naw

thats a normal error that occurs from time to time could be your isp was doing some work on the system and as for NAV it works fine with OE and XP and having a virus scanner that scans all incoming and outgoing email is important in todays world of viruses sure common sence can help when you get an exe from someone you dont know and you dont open it but still there are some very tricky things that can mess you up big time so I would not be to quick to jump on the disable NAV scanner just because one time you see an error message and all the times before that it was working with the email scanner on ........ if your email got messed up all you needed to do was go into OE tools /accounts and make a slight change to the settings and it would have worked fine oh well :cool:

Yeah i dont reccomend disabling da virus scanner. Wot i was tryin 2 say woz dat by disabling da email scanning i managed to fix da problems i woz avin wiv sendin n receivin email

:D

[offtopic]

cool, an optical keyboard :D

(bablos, check your sig)

[/offtopic]

;)

Bet I can tell you what it IS, but not how to permanently fix it :(

In OE, go:
Tools
Accounts
Mail Tab
Select Affected Account
Properties
Servers Tab

In the "Outgoing Mail Server", I'll lay odds it says "Localhost".

If you look at your "Account Name" field, it will probably have your user name with an added "/pop.yourisp.com" to the end - you need to remove that, and replace the "localhost" with your pop info...

It will probably revert, but it might stick.

Anyone know how to actually fix this?

M2K

I did a quick search over at MicroSoft, and found this article, which fits my bill, but is sort of a scary option:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q303645

However, if you set your virus proggy (Trend PC-Cillin in my case) to just scan all files, wouldn't it catch files attached to email too? Pardon me if I am missing something, but wouldn't that just make POP checking redundant?

M2K

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back