Email (dis)organisation?

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Just like some feedback from folks on how to resolve a little conundrum that has me slightly befuddled....

like many of you, I expect, I have a number of email addresses due to:-

Subscriptions
POP server
ISP provision (always want to use all they offer :p)
GMAIL advent
etc etc

All fine and dandy and me happy with Tbird also - no problemo so far....

Then I move to my present ISP and they have a little clause that is fairly insistent you do NOT leave copies of your mail on their servers (and no, they do not tell you of any consequence should you choose to do so, and I have not undertaken to investigate "the hard way" since they were clear in their wording).

Now you need to be aware I also run multiple machines, each dual booting. I used to happily harvest all my emails in Tbird or Evolution wherever I went. But since switch to this ISP any mail to that account will only be picked up by Tbird on my primary and then it is gone...

Now my ISP does support forwarding, and I do have plentiful GMAIL invites so could spawn another address there, which I could also forward.

What I do NOT want is to fetch up with breeding copies of a single email, and I know how easily one can slip into this.

Another thing I do NOT yet want is to get into the hassle of setting up my own email server (nor using your no doubt brilliant facilities, but thanks anayway Lord ;) )...

So could someone here apply their razor sharp logic and suggest best resolution?

Or maybe share how they manage their email clients and accounts - so that I can learn another way, since this has put the matter "under review" for me?

Rep to anything useful... or should I say anyone?

I never kept mine on the server .. Then I don't have multiple computers where I check it either.

Download mail to your primary machine/boot and then sync it to a Palm/Pocket PC then sync it to other machines when needed?

That's what I do anyway.

My setup may break this clause, I keep my desktop as "Keep Mail" and my laptop as the one who downloads and deletes. Every now and then I replace the PST file on my desktop with the one on my laptop to make sure they are sync'd.

This is a problem having two computers. I do have a PocketPC but I have a GMail account specifically for it.

EDIT: You could always switch to GMail and have 2.6GB which I'm sure is more then what your ISP offers.

HMMmmm yeah - well no palm/pocket type thing nor any plans for one... And not sure if it breaks rules doing what you say Admiral, though I may "run that by" my ISP to see if they detect any downloading of mail without stripping from server and punish you for it....

In fact I already have a Gmail - and it is for such heavy forum subscription (and only for that!) that is has already hit over 4% within the first six months - indicating it should fall far short of life times useage! Not sure Gmail is the answer - plus wherever I go was hoping for a plan that will "last a lifetime"....

Maybe I'll end up forced into running my own email server and the dull learning curve that comes with that...

Was hoping for some more ideas - but thanks for those anyways

Ya having two computers sucks for email, short from running and exchange server I don't see much else to do, especially if one is a laptop since that is portable (wondering if KC is going to suggest the PST sharing idea).

If you decide to leap into the mail server, Exchange Server 2003 is the best. OWA and all. However, it is expensive.

Very interesting situation indeed.

Exchange for the home user is OVERKILL, plain and simple. The cost, and learning curve involved if you haven't used it, can give you a heart attack.

As Admiral Michael said, I like have setup calendar/contact sharing for clients on more tha one occasion, rather seamlessly. However, this particular solution does not allow inbox sharing.

http://www.officecalendar.com/index.asp

I'm not really sure what else to suggest. If you don't have the option of leaving mail on the server, you may need to get your own local mail server. Other than that, have ALL of your mail forward to some other IMAP account that you setup, or a main POP3 catch-all that you can leave on the server. If you use GMAIL, for example, you can leave the mail on the server and set a pruning time (expiration), so the mail eventually goes away. For instance, set all mail to delete after 7, 14, or 30 days.

Or, if you want to have a main machine that handles all of your e-mail, perhaps remote desktop into it to view mail? It's a bit tricky since you have so many computers that all dual-boot. But, I like this challenge, and I'd be interested to see how it works out :)

wwwdjrcs said:
... remote desktop into it to view mail? It's a bit tricky since you have so many computers that all dual-boot. But, I like this challenge, and I'd be interested to see how it works out :)

this is an idea that did not occur to me, be extremely challenging to do so from a Linux box, and does actually impossible when it is the dual boot Linux on the main machine - so need to rethink how to handle that (maybe have a Gmail just for my Evolution clients?) - But if i remember to try this then I shall someday (though it will feel weird remote desktoping from the living room to the bedroom! ;) )

Thanks for the thoughts - have a rep.

Mainframeguy said:
this is an idea that did not occur to me, be extremely challenging to do so from a Linux box, and does actually impossible when it is the dual boot Linux on the main machine - so need to rethink how to handle that (maybe have a Gmail just for my Evolution clients?) - But if i remember to try this then I shall someday (though it will feel weird remote desktoping from the living room to the bedroom! ;) )

Thanks for the thoughts - have a rep.
While it may feel weird, it could be done. You can download the remote desktop client that Windows uses, or something like VNC which I believe is cross-OS friendly.

I have remote desktop connected to machines less than 3 feet :lick:

that was before I got my awesome KVM :smoker:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back