eMachines 5116 (REPLACEMENT)

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
My eMachines 5116 notebook (Celeron 2.4 GHz with 15.4" widescreen) is showing it's age and needs a fan attending to....

Now I shall do that and allow it to be inherited by my daughter in the fullness of time....

Which leads me to the subject for the thread - with a budget about the same as that one was four or five years ago (this cost me some £800 odd, equivalent spend power to maybe $1200?) - what might members here at OSNN recommend to me?

I am thinking maybe Dell - and although I am tempted by teh AMD offerings I have yet to see anything that makes me really want to go there, but maybe you guys know of a special or have experience you can share for me to make the right choice here - it is one I shall be sticking with for some time.

One thing I do want to be far superior this time is the SOUND so that I can consider using the notebook as shipped for a mobile entertainment device.... Battery life is also a factor there (though spare cells are an option and I have an inverter for in car usage and charging).

Last edited by a moderator:
well thanks for that - now i just need to wait for da man (Netryder) to pick up on this thread and I'll get thinking what to choose....

though i do have to say that Lenovo looks a little pricey still for the budget I have... that was 1200 dollars not pounds!

One thing I do want to be far superior this time is the SOUND so that I can consider using the notebook as shipped for a mobile entertainment device.... Battery life is also a factor there (though spare cells are an option and I have an inverter for in car usage and charging).

I hope you don't want decent sound out of laptop onboard speakers... It won't happen, they're just too small and the casing degrades sound.

Headphones may work.

I'm hearing bad things about Lenovo quality since IBM sold out. Stick with a Dell, Sony or Toshiba (in that order).

Last edited:
LeeJend is right about laptop speakers. I've never really come across a laptop that actually sounded "really good." Just pick up a pair of Sennheisers for on-the-go listening instead. :)

I was recently looking for laptops for a friend, and the Dell XPS M1210 was one that caught my eye, mainly because of the combination of raw power and the 7 hours of battery life. Unfortunately, it starts at £899 in the UK. The Inspiron 9400 that you're looking at has a 17" display, which might make it a bit inconvenient in terms of portability. I'm not quite sure what the battery life would be like either. The rest of the specs look great though.

I'd go Dell, Maxdata, Ace, toshiba :) And avoid turion laptops, they postitivley crawl.

i would wait a few weeks till core2 duo apears, then pick up a cheap dell core duo + discount coupon :D

What Heny said about the new Intel products.

Aside from that the price/performance looks pretty good (even with the Uk VAT). Find a coupon and your set.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back