Elplorer.exe using 100% of cpu!

M

Mange

Hello!

I saw that there are many others who have different problems with the explorer using to much cpu.

Sorry , i have no solution but i found this post at Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317751
(Knowledge Base-artikel - 317751).

I wounder if anybody has that fix? Or i hope that microsoft relese SP2 with it included really soon.

I´m having this "strange" problem with explorer.exe like the most of the posts i´v been reading hear. But i guess we´ll have to wait for SP2.
Hmm, thougt i shouldn´t have this problem with a brand new pc, but that´s life i guess. :(

*great forum*:blink:

/Mange

Hi Mange,

First off welcome to the community;)

I found this
Start -> Run -> type in: Regedit
Find the

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler\

directory and delete the "DEFAULT" key ! ... Voila ! ... Explorer.exe runs at 0-1% on idling !

I have never had the problem but it seems to work for most people.

Please backup your registry

Hope this helps you

Alan

A big thanx!!!

Hey! As for now....your tip has work good for me :)

I have test it and its seems to work! ( So far, so good... )
But the computer is a strange device that lives its on life. Who doesent know that? Hehe :D

I´ll be in touch if the problem appaers again!
Have a nice day!
/Mange

Glad to help ;)

and look forward to seeing you around the forum

stick around you'll enjoy it

Alan

I tried to delete the key but it said that it could not delete one of the values?

Any ideas?

There is another almost identical thread started by me and offering the same link to MS!!

explorer.exe using 100% cpu

A friend of mine's is getting constant 100% cpu usage from explorer.exe after using the computer (WinXP Pro no SP1 applied) for around half an hour. I've remotely connected to the box and had a general look around, and there is nothing running at all that would cause this.
We've tried a virus scan with norton av with freshly downloaded updates), and there's no programs running in startup.
It seems that there's nothing that stands out that would cause this... so does anyone have any suggestions ??

Nothing is running. no sites, no media player/winamp, no un-needed services... nothing.

if i was u (or that friend of urs) i would run a spyware scanner like bullet proof soft's Spyware / Adware Remover (NOT ADAWARE!!! it's dangerous to ur own computer and can make it not boot or ruin internet connection or such while trying to remove things like cdilla)

when did this happen?what was the latest program your freind installed?
I had the same problem months ago when I installed AVP2 I got everything back to normal when repaired IE.:)
run the MSCONFIG command and look in the task manager, close a processor one after one you might see some differences.:D ;) :cool:

It's a virtually brand new computer. she doesn't use it for much, just things such as browsing, e-mail, irc, and a few games etc.
Nothing was installed between this happening and it not happening.

The only thing that we did do was attend a lan, 5 computers, sharing files (she only got divx/mp3...nothing was installed from here) and the problem started when the computer was took home.

There are other threads (one of them mine) on this forum dealing with the same problem!!

I have found this to happen on my computer as well. Running xp pro with sp1. Sometimes when i would access multimedia files, the explorer would kick up to 100%. I am guessing that windows is trying to read the attributes/properties and is having a problem with one or more of them. In xp, what you can do is go into task manager under the processes tab and end the explorer.exe process. Then go into the applications tab and and click on New Task and start up a new explorer. All should be well after that.

I know its not a fix, its just a remedy for it. Wish I knew how to prevent it from happening at all.

does it go back to 100% after a hard reboot as well?

Originally posted by shaggy2000
Sometimes when i would access multimedia files, the explorer would kick up to 100%. I am guessing that windows is trying to read the attributes/properties and is having a problem with one or more of them.

Isnt there a tweak that you can do with the registry that stops it from trying to get the stats of multimedia files. (I'll see if I can find a link)

Also as she is on a network, what is her Network loading (also on Task Manager)?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler

and delete the "DEFAULT" key

Originally posted by djchapple
There are other threads (one of them mine) on this forum dealing with the same problem!!

Hi allan,

While this thread has your attention I'm wondering why djchapple is having a problem deleting this key.....what would cause this?

Originally posted by djchapple on another thread with the same name
I tried to delete the key but it said that it could not delete one of the values?

Any ideas?

Here is the Thread

you were in on it at the begining but the thread started to lose its way a bit.........and then got back on track.

Anyways hope you can help him;)

Alan

Alan - Hi. I looked at the thread you linked to and don't see that quote anywhere. As to why I left that thread early, there are a few reasons:

1) Too many cooks
2) Too much bad info being bandied about
3) The thread went off on so many tangents I couldn't follow it any longer

Originally posted by allan
Alan - Hi. I looked at the thread you linked to and don't see that quote anywhere. As to why I left that thread early, there are a few reasons:

1) Too many cooks
2) Too much bad info being bandied about
3) The thread went off on so many tangents I couldn't follow it any longer

Hi alllan,

Yes it did move of track and I was probaly responsible:D

The link I gave you was from this Post

Its pretty much the same as this one , but have a look anyway, as I said originally would there be a specific reason why he couldn't delete this key? orare there many factors and were should he start?

Thanks for the reply

Alan

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back