Electronic era makes bright sparks

Smokie

A Proud Australian
By Eddie Fitzmaurice
November 17 2002

Computer games, the internet and television are making today's children more intelligent than any previous generation, researchers have found.

Contrary to popular belief, children's IQ levels are being raised to record highs because of stimulation from electronic entertainment.

Psychologists from Cornell University in New York found that IQ levels among young people were now about 25 points higher than their grandparents' generation. The gap between children and their parents' generation is about 15 points.

Ulric Nesser, who led the study, attributed the change to the increasing complexity of modern life and the fact that children interact with electronic gadgets and entertainment from an early age.

Activities most likely to boost the IQ included computer gaming, which tended to involve complex and highly structured thought processes, and use of the internet for research.

Improved nutrition in developed countries, such as the US, Britain and Australia, also played a part in helping the brain adapt to these external stimulants, Professor Nesser said.

However, the research found, however, that the advance in juvenile intellect was not evenly spread.
While scores in the abstract reasoning and thinking portions of IQ tests had improved by about seven points in each of the past two decades, verbal and mathematical skills were virtually unchanged.

Other experts welcomed the findings, but warned that the advances might not last unless there was constant stimulation.

George Erdos, a senior lecturer in psychology at Newcastle-upon-Tyne University in England, said he had no doubt modern computer gaming was positive for youngsters.

"Computer games require perseverance, fast thinking and rapid learning," Dr Erdos said.

But Bill Dickens, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington DC, said other research had indicated that a person's IQ tended to slip back when computers and other gadgets were withdrawn.

He warned: "IQ is very plastic. The brain seems to be like a muscle and needs regular and vigorous exercise. If our theory is right, when it comes to IQ it's a case of use it or lose it."

Neil Turok, a professor of mathematical physics at Cambridge University in England , said computers were a powerful resource, but he warned they could stifle independent thought.

Professor Turok stressed: "A lot of kids are on the computer too much.

"The danger with a computer is you become rather dumb from doing repetitive tasks.

"In the end, computers are no substitute for imagination."

Professor Turok should try playing more than just dinosaur hunter
no wonder he thinks computers are repetitive

LOL

:p :p

Sorry Hipster, forgot about you Melbounians..can't read or write more than 4 sentences in a row :D

You got that right Smokie. Oh btw I better send you an english dictionary so you can spell Melbounians right. :p

Spelling was near enough Hipster, cause I didn't think you would understand it anyway :D

Anyway, I better not say to much about Melbourne. I grew up in Victoria and if all goes well, should be back there to live by the end of next year...

Besides Hipster, anyone that grew up in Victoria knows there was only one English dictionary in all of the state, and Jeff Kennet got rid of it before people had a chance to work out what he was saying..

Btw, did you just copy and paste the word.. dictionary??? :D

hehehe I'm a crow eater. yum yum.

Something Kennet said while Premier is now being used against the now liberal leader whoever that is. Elections are at the end of the month. He bagged the poor guy to death. (Kennet still can't believe he was dumped.)

GO THE VICS!
election - get rid of steve bracks, hes an idiot
get someone else in.....i cant do anything though....too young to vote!:(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back