Ebay

Tittles

Dabba Dooba
Political Access
Hey. I just got into 5th hour at school and mr cole gave me a print out of a email he got to his school email saying that him or someone else used his ebay account to make fake bids. I went on ebay a few times last week to look at some trucks around my area but didnt really find anything. I never bidded because i nor mr cole have a ebay account. In the email it told me to click on a link to give appropriate info otherwise they will assume the account is fraudulent and will be suspended. I clicked the link but it just sits there and doesnt load.

Here is the email

[font=Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif]eBay Fraud Mediation Request
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif]Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 [/font]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You have recieved this email because you or someone had used your account to make fake bids at eBay. For security purposes, we are required to open an investigation into this matter. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]THE FRAUD ALERT ID CODE CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE WILL BE ATTACHED IN OUR FRAUD MEDIATION REQUEST FORM, IN ORDER TO VERIFY YOUR ACCOUNT REGISTRATION INFORMATIONS.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif]Fraud Alert ID CODE: XXXXXXXX (edited cause i dont want to show anything if this is a real email)
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif](Please save this Fraud Alert ID Code for your reference.[/font])

To help speed up this process, please access the following form to complete the verification of your account registration informations:
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica,
sans-serif]http://scgi.ebay.com/verify_id=ebay &fraud alert id code=********* (again the numbers were edited out)[/font]

[font=Arial,
Helvetica, sans-serif]Please Note:
If we do not receive the appropriate account verification within 48 hours, than we will assume this account is fraudulent and will be suspended.
The purpose of this verification is to ensure that your account has not been fraudulently used and to combat the fraud from our community.
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We appreciate your support and understanding, as we work together to keep eBay a safe place to trade.[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Thank you for your patience in this matter.
[/font]

[font=Arial,
Helvetica, sans-serif]Regards, Safeharbor Department (Trust and Safety Department)
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is only a notification. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered.
[/font]
[font=Arial,
Helvetica, sans-serif]

Copyright © 2005 Ebay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. Ebay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. Ebay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.
[/font]

If you would like to try the link yourself i will give it to u but i just wanna be safe cause i dont want anymore crap going on. Can anybody tell if this is real or fake?

wait that says legit urls..

Can you send me the link..

Also in the emial hover over the link and see if the address is different then what is typed

If you like you can forward the email to my email

Yeah i will forward it to you.

I figured it would be a scam since i dont have an account.

OK I dug a bit more

I'm positive thats a fake email..

The scgi.ebay is a secure connection which means it rejects anything from http:

the URL should be https:// Notice the S in the http:

your link doesn't have that..

Forward that email to spoof@ebay.com

Thanks dude :)...like i send in the email to you. You saved my ass along with my teacher :). Rep++++++++++++

Just sent them a email :)

I figured it would of been but i wasnt to sure. I guess i should of looked closer at the link. I did think somethin was fishy because when i clicked on the link it opened in another IE and the link in the address bar was different then the link in the email.

I personally havent gotten any from ebay..
But I recieve lots from PayPal, and citibank..

Just remember.. if you receive any email. like that.. go directly to the site not through the email. and places like ebay and financial places will never ask for user and passwords.

On a side donte of deception.. Read this book..
Art of Deception, Kevin Mitnick

Very good book, he explains how this email spoof is done, along with other ebay scams and other deceptoins.

I am just glad i didnt end up getting in trouble. From experince my school principle doesn't believe most of the students at our school unless they are smart kids or suck up to the principles. I know that cause i got kicked out last year for stolen headphones that i didnt know where stolen. A kid in my labvolt class asked if i wanted headphones since mine were broke and i was like sure. I asked if he was sure i could keep them and he was like yeah. Come to find out 2 weeks later...they were stolen from that class :(. Course they didnt believe me and he lied saying he told me they were mr.boyds and i could borrow them.

Anyway...ummm thanks for the help :)

I got a similar one a few week back, but in it it wanted me to update my eBay account info. I forward it to eBay and they responded with a thanks and links to their info on how to spot the fake ones and what to do and not to do.

Hell, I clicked the fake link and it took forever to load So I gave up. I tried it in the evening and it loaded, so I filled it out with all kinds of stupid shiit. Like for a first and last name I put Joe and then Mama. The gave them my address as 123 Elm Street Iceland and next of kin as Fredrick Kruger :p All sorts of wakky shiit. Oh and for an e-mail I put kissmyass@bullshiit.com

gonaads said:
I got a similar one a few week back, but in it it wanted me to update my eBay account info. I forward it to eBay and they responded with a thanks and links to their info on how to spot the fake ones and what to do and not to do.

Hell, I clicked the fake link and it took forever to load So I gave up. I tried it in the evening and it loaded, so I filled it out with all kinds of stupid shiit. Like for a first and last name I put Joe and then Mama. The gave them my address as 123 Elm Street Iceland and next of kin as Fredrick Kruger
silly.gif
All sorts of wakky shiit. Oh and for an e-mail I put kissmyass@bullshiit.com
I do that sometimes with the fake bank ones, if I'm bored!:p

hey i get these ****ing things all the time, really tittle, its blatently fake, no repectible company would treat its customers that way.

Also they wouldn't say click here, they would either direct you to their website first of have a link to it, clearly showing the link as their site.

BUT FOLLOW THIS ADVICE AND YOU SHOULDN'T EVER EVER GET BURNT (MOSTLY)

EVEN if they have a link to their site and even once you get there it looks like their site, DONT USE THE SITE, it could be hijacked, i.e. they could of made the site and url look like the site you wanted to go to.

INSTEAD, just to be sure, type the name of the url you know is correct and go to the site yourself. ie www.ebay.com (sorry to be so simplistic). This is good advice to avoid feeling like you've been ****ed up the ass and dragged for a thousand miles, whilst hairy amazonion shemales piss in your face, chanting Chumbawamba songs.

TittleBitties said:
mr cole gave me a print out of a email he got to his school email saying that him or someone else used his ebay account to make fake bids. I went on ebay a few times last week to look at some trucks around my area but didnt really find anything. I never bidded because i nor mr cole have a ebay account.
You say that the teacher got the email about an account he does not have but you still aren't sure if it is fake?? :speechless: That doesn't make sense :laugh:

jimi_81 said:
yea i was confused about that too...
Glad I'm not the only one,I had to read it a few times to make sure thats what he said :crosseyed:

I thought it was pretty self-explanatory considering the source. ;) :p

The new eBay and PayPal scam mails are pretty simple. They look legitimate with numerous legitimate links to the website involved but there will be 1 link that is bad and of course it is always one of the login links. The easiest way to never get fooled is simply check the headers and all the links to see where they actually point. Of course there is always the common sense method. Instead of clicking on a link in an email open your browser and login to the website like you normally would anyway.

In the end it comes down to mostly common sense and a little bit of looking at the headers and links in the email.

I haven't gotten any of these in awhile.

rotjong

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back